Notifications
Clear all

TAPPING

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@girly)
Topic starter  

I am trying to learn how to properly do tapping and I wasn't sure if I should use my first finger or my second finger? My second finger feels weaker than using my first.

Also how do I to make a quick transition with the pic when play chords or individual notes moving to tapping?

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

It's up to you really, some people use their second finger, some people use the first, other people just use the pick to tap. There are certain advantages using a pick, you don't have to worry about doing anything with the pick and it gives you a different sounding attack (apparently). If you use the pointer finger, alot of people will just palm the pick, it apparently takes alot of practice. I am by no means a tapping, sweeping, blazing solo type player, this just comes from what i've read.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I can tap OK, but have never really spent the time to get real good at it. To me, (just my personal opinion) tapping is a little gimmicky. Used sparingly it is a great technique.

Myself, I like to tap with my middle finger. This allows me to hold the pick normally. I do not like the sound of tapping with the pick itself, it seems tinny to me. Again, that is just me.

It takes a little practice to move from tapping back to regular picking. It is just something you have to practice slowly until you get good at it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@fizz6207)

^ agreed. I like to keep holding the pick and use my second finger.

But if theres going to be a long section of tapping, I might stick the pick in my mouth for it to free my hand up and use my first finger :)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I tap with the pick. Some Iron Maiden songs and One by Metallica. I also use in some of my own songs, and it works well. I don't like the sound with fingers.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

I definately think it is easier to get a clear sound when tapping with the pick, but, if using a finger I think using your middle finger is the way to go, practice until you get a callouse and its just like using a pick.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@girly)
Topic starter  

I don't feel so bad now that I am super slow moving the pic around in my hand if I use my 1st finger to tap. I will do some practicing on just moving it around. My 2nd finger feels super week when tapping.

Since I have just started playing a few months ago and I have no one around me that is musically inclined I really liked the sound of tapping. Also, playing the guitar has opened my eyes to music I never really paid any mind to (Clapton, Santriani, ACDC, VH, etc.). I do take guitar lessons from a teacher with a music (guitar) major so hopefully this will help with my progression. I will see if I can get a short video clip up next week on my site for some criticism. I am always ready to improve!

Right now I working on Panama, Back in Black, tapping, scales and transitions of chords. My goal is to be able to play lead. I should have a pic of my guitar set up on myspace http://www.myspace.com/williamsheather

http://www.heather-williams.com

ReplyQuote