Clear all

Tested out left hand Strat Highway and Gibson LP

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Today I checked out above mentioned Guitars.
I didn't have much time because the store was closing soon and it wasn't possible for me to go there earlier (thanks to rush hour!) but I have to say there was a BIIIIIIIG difference between my Honer (strat copy) and the other two. not only sound vice but I especially noticed how much a difference it is to have a guitar that is set up properly.
on my guitar I can barely play the F barre longer than for a few seconds but on the other two it was so easy, man I felt like I really could play guitar
:wink:
anyway, if I have more money I'm going to buy one of those (or maybe another if they get more left-handed to test).
I know I should first get my guitar set upright but I know as well that if I enter that shop again I'll definitely leave with a new guitar...
:roll:

anyway, just a few thoughts! thanks for reading and sorry for wasting your time
marcel

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Umm... first what kinda music do you like? For example, Hendrix, Gilmour, SRV, Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton, and many other mainly use (or used) single coil Strats(crisp, bell like tone). Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi, most metal players, and others use humbucker-equipped LP's or SG's.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'm getting tired of hearing this metal is for LP's deal. I can't find a better sound for BLUES then the sound of a les paul. Fat, warm, smooth...bluesy.

Good luck picking out of those man, let us know which one you get.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Taso, I didn't mean just LP's or SG's, I was just relating to what he tried. I really ment just humbuckers. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well, I don't have a definite style that I prefer over others at the moment. I play what I can or I'm learning as I go. I'd consider myself still a beginner (and the more I know the more a beginner I feel, is this normal? Socrates, please help)
The Gibson felt like it has been made for me. Like it has been waiting for me to pick it up and play.
The Fender was very nice too, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the Les Paul.
Well, neither of those I can afford. :cry:
I was hoping to find the Ibanez SZ520 QM there because they do have it presented on their homepage. However I had to search through thousands of right hand guitars to find those left hand guitars and time was short so it was quite a task that I didn't accomplish.
That teached me a lesson! "Calculate 5 hours because you need at least 2.5hrs to drive..."
On 19th April I'll be there again from dawn till dusk!

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Check out Epiphone, and the fender MIM series. They're alot cheaper. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

And Jimmy Page was just a really loud bluesman anyway. I beleive he recorded all of LZ I with that custom Tele and a low watt VOX amp, but live he had those custom LPs. His sound was always thin and he used lots of guitar tracks mixed together to fill up his sound. Listen to How Many More Times and you'll find two distinct guitars playing the main riff, one crisp and biting and the other buzzy and heavily distorted. Ten Years Gone has about six or so different guitars going at once that come together to make the song.

He couldn't do that live so he ended up using LP's and huge Marshall stacks to get a really raw and powerful sound. That's why Zeppelin sounded so different live versus the studio. He never went horribly nuts with distortion, allthough I would classify it as early metal it wasn't metal as we know it today.

Tangents rule.

Anyway, I think people tend to say that LP's are for metal because it's easier to overdrive an amp with 'buckers than single coils. You can go louder with 'buckers with less noise and higher output.

And Gibson really made the LP as a guitar more suited to jazzy sounds, the SG was made to replace the LP as a "rock" guitar.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

8)
FINALLY!

I got the IBANEZ SZ520 QM
It's a dream to play, I really love the way it feels, in short: I am very impressed by this guitar!
the price was €559 with a belt, locks, and a very good gigbag
(the guitar itself was €520)

I think you can't go wrong with this baby!

cheers,
marcel

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

That is ONE pretty guitar. What color did you get?

Big congrats

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks.
it's so nice to play!
it's the brown one. I tried to find an appropriate picture but I jsut couldn't get a direct link to work...
there's really no comparisson to my honer lefthand.
but I will keep practicing and playing on my honer too, just to not get lazy or "whimpy" :wink:

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote