Notifications
Clear all

The art of simplicity

21 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah, thats true. I think it's also an attitude problem, the music world could use a stonger DIY attitude if you'd ask me and not rely so much on producers and sci-fi studios.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Clazon on that.

All my favorite bands have been very basic. Guitar plugged into LOUD amp. :twisted:

I always go back to bands like AC/DC, Cream, or Free. You listen to these old records, they really weren't even using distortion, it's just an overdriven cranked amp. Something about those tones, the best.

Take away The Edge's effects?? I like the guy, but there wouldn't be much there.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

In general, I agree with the discussion vis a vis fast playing versus slow playing. But I also think it's good to be able to play fast for the sake of versatility. John Frusciante is a very versatile player. He's the only guitar player in the Chili Peppers so every guitar part is his. He can play both fast and slow. He's full of effects, too, but take awasy the effects and there's still a lot there. On his own records he's recorded some very beautiful things, just him and his guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

I was thinkng about this thread and playing a few notes vs. a lot of notes. It got me to thinking about some of my favorite guitarists and their 'tasty licks':

Eric Clapton
George Harrison
BB King
Mike Campbell (from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)
Eliot Easton (from the Cars)
John Fogerty
Keith Richards/Ron Wood

These guys did not play a lot of notes, but they played them well. It might do me well to go listen to a few of their albums and learn from them.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm pretty sure all this appreciation has come from me finally enjoying the sound that's comign out of my gear and my new found love for studying the Blues.

:D

So that's not too bad an idea, Boogie.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Just jumping in to throw out names of guitarists who can improvise well, either fast or slow. My tastes lead me to a lot of "jambands" who base the majority of their live shows on improved solos and jams. In my opinion the top three improv based guitarists around today are (In no particular order)

1) Trey Anastasio (formerly of Phish)-doesn't use many effects and is known for his fast solos but can definitely pull out a slow, melodic one when the song calls for it.

2) Al Schneir (MOE.)-one of my personal favorites, a great improviser. His solos are somewhat limited as far as speed goes (the fast solos come from their other guitarist) but there are few out there who can compare to his ability to put together notes on the spot.

and probably my favorite...

3) Brendan Bayliss (Umphrey's McGee)-this man can SHRED but at the same time make his solos sound great. I don't like heavy music at all and was originally turned off to him because he played fast on the first songs I heard but the more I listened the more I respected him. I recommend listening to some of their live stuff just to hear him solo.

Anyways, my $.02, take it for what it's worth.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2