Clear all

The Horror that is a Metronome

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Okay....so as ive been improving and working on solos i noticed that almost all the runs in my solos sound the sames and lack that extra chartacter that really makes it sound good. So, yes i know what i need to do. But i am honestly terrified of playing with a metronome because i think ima get discourage and really suck. Basically I'm asking what it was like for people when they started playing with a metronome, and exzactly how to use it, not set it up how to actually play along with. Also keep in mind im a fairly expirenced player. Thank for the input fellas.

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I use mine when I practice scales. I set it really slow and use it to force myself to play scales slower than I usually would, working to be super smooth and even.

I also use mine to practice songs that I have really well learned, working toward being precise.

The nome is frustrating when I'm playing something that I don't know very well yet, where I'm going to make mistakes anyway. When I'm playing something that I'm confident with it helps me make it better.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Whenever I come up with a riff I can't play (which happens pretty often) I fire up my metronome to learn it slow.

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

the metronome i have....it's hard for me to hear it while playing. my electric and acoustic drowns it completely out.

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I play with my metronome all the time, whether is scales, riffs, or songs. I remember when I first started it seemed like such a hindrance because I was already a decent guitar player, but i couldn't play as well with it. Maybe that's kinda how your feeling, and if it is, trust me, it's worth it. Pracetice as much as you can with it (I won't say always, cause that would just drive me crazy! haha). It'll only come with practice, but when you get used to it, it's a great help for learning things quicker, and, even as odd as it seems, working on improvisation. Plus it's invaluable experience for playing with others. Hope this helped, and best of luck!

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I say this always and never have been shut down yet, so I'll repeat it :) If the metronome is too hard to keep up with, try to get a cheap drum machine and use that instead. It's much more natural feeling and amounts to pretty much the same thing.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Most peope say, or assume, that a metronome is for practicing rhythm. When you break it right down though, it's more for practicing 'listening.' I think that's what messes people up sometimes. The thing is there, clicking away - even slowly - and the person's mind is listening to it, following it, and then they start to play their scale or whatever, and the mind switches over to that and less on the clicking, and they go off. The metronome forces us to keep focus on that external clicking - to keep listening to it purposefully - while at the same time doing all these other things.

It's terrifying at times. :)

ReplyQuote