The Start of my 51 project.

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Since I now have two 51's I thought I'd have a little fun.

Here they are getting ready for surgery.

OH, first blood.

Next, the pup covers.

And then the pick guards.

And let me tell you they did NOT get drilled from the same mold. :evil:

Round #1. Next. Hardware.

I found this bridge very easy to setup the guitars. At first the high strings saddles, on the 2-tone, were way too high and setting intonation wasn't going to happen. After I lowered the action and then went back to the bridge and the intonation had a wider range of pitch to work with. So now these guitars play great.

Opinions?

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

(@steves)
Estimable Member

Bish,

The blond looks sooo much better with the white pickguard. I really like it. Of course I'm partial as my Strat is the same configuration except with a rosewood neck.

I'll be interested to see what you do with the hardware as I'm looking to do some work on my '51 too. My plan is to start with the bridge as soon as the folks at Guitar Fetish get more chrome in stock. Then I'm thinking the tuners need to go too, but I'm not sure what to replace them with. Pickups will wait a while. I want to put some new ones in my Strat and once I do that, I'll take one of the old Strat coils and put it in the '51 neck. At least that's the plan now.

Keep us posted.

Steve

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Steve.

I'm thinking about putting gold hardware on my 2-tone.

Starting the investigation process as we speak. :D

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member

i think both guitars look better,the white guard on the blonde looks doesn't look bad at all good job

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Those look really great, Bish. :D
I like the the pickguards much better like that. I think the blond looks better with the white and vice versa.

Anyone know where I can get a chrome pickup cover for mine?

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I like the the pickguards much better like that. I think the blond looks better with the white and vice versa.

For the neck pup? Not sure I've ever seen a chrome cover for a Strat-like pup. Some examples:

Strat pup covers at Stew Mac

You might want to replace that with a tele chrome pup or maybe a lipstick. Musician's Friend carries these, though cheaper versions can be found.

lipstick pup

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I agree :D Butt I think I will still just take off the pick guard and fill the holes in the best i can.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I agree :D Butt I think I will still just take off the pick guard and fill the holes in the best i can.

I think every one of mine will get a modified or removed pickguard. The burst seems a good no or small guard candidate. Something will get faux tortoise-shell. I also have some MOTS that would look very nice on black ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Pretty cool Bish. I actually like the black pickguard on the blonde '51, but it looks good with the white as well.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Love the Sunburst with the black PG. I bought the same 2 guitars for the same reason, to swap plastics. I think the Sunburst looks MUCH better with the black PG. As for the Blonde, I also think it looks better with a black PG but I think it looks great with white too. White PG on the Sunburst looks OK but its just not for me.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I found almost everything I need to switch hardware but the control cover. I can only find that in chrome and it's already on the guitar. Makes me hesitant to purchase gold hardware for the bridge, control knobs and tuners when that control cover is chrome. I can even find a gold jack cover. I even found all the black hardware as well in case I decided to go with a more Goth look. Not that I'm promoting Goth, I'm too old for that.

Any ideas?

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I found almost everything I need to switch hardware but the control cover. I can only find that in chrome and it's already on the guitar. Makes me hesitant to purchase gold hardware for the bridge, control knobs and tuners when that control cover is chrome. I can even find a gold jack cover. I even found all the black hardware as well in case I decided to go with a more Goth look. Not that I'm promoting Goth, I'm too old for that.

Any ideas?

Hey Bish,

I ran into that problem when I did my "GOLDIE". Found all gold bits, trees, screws, tuners etc.. except the control plate. I decided to just paint mine black and it turned out OK.. (I sanded off the chrome first). I put on Gold/Pearl Knobs and the black plate makes em POP real nice. Wish I had a camera, so I could show ya.... :roll:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Any ideas?

Hey Bish,

I ran into that problem when I did my "GOLDIE". Found all gold bits, trees, screws, tuners etc.. except the control plate. I decided to just paint mine black and it turned out OK.. (I sanded off the chrome first). I put on Gold/Pearl Knobs and the black plate makes em POP real nice. Wish I had a camera, so I could show ya.... :roll:

That's a good idea.

I could take mine to work and get the finish removed and redone, too. Now I have to decide if I want all gold or a combo. So many options, so little of a guitar. And when I'm done, I hope to have the most outrageous ideas about what to do with the blonde one. :twisted:

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I was looking around the net for pickguards yesterday and found a clear one for my tele. You can then put a picture or letters or whatever underneath it without it actually being permanently on the guitar. I have a pretty good idea for my tele and if there was a clear pickguard for the 51, that would open up a lot of options for that one as well.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Any ideas?

play more, mod less :roll:

Nah - looks real good bish!

It just reminded me of my latest bicycle experience. I've always fancied bikes (pedal driven tho'), and I've been building and modding and taking great care mixing the right parts for function but also apperance.

A few weeks ago I got a new frame as a replacement for one that broke. It came in gold and white with red, blue, green, yellow and black stripes on (- stupid, but it is supposed to have something to do with Julien Absalom winning both the olympics and world cup on a Bianchi bike... )

Anyway - I came across this second hand suspension fork - from the picture (in best mobile phone quality...) I thought it was silver - OK, not the greatest match in colours but relatively neutral. I picked it up at the post office, and it turned out it was somewhere between Green and gold with a touch of Olive ... :-D

So - this does not match at all - looks like a travelling circus.

The morale?

I realised that I don't care anymore - and that's a relief - I'll just put on the parts I have and start riding instead of worrying about whether Easton or Titec would be the optimal choice :-)

But again - I know the disease Bish - It's not like I'm cured or anything ;-)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2