Clear all

To people with more than one guitar

63 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm sure we've all been through this. But to the people that have more than one guitar of one type (electric or acoustic) ever find yourself going back to the same guitar again and again? You have 3, 4 possibly more, and they normally just sit there watching you play one particular axe. I've been debating on getting a BC Rich next week but I have 3 guitars now, and only my LP gets played. Makes me wonder why to bother if I'm only going to play the one.

My Explorer had action that was too high, so I adjusted the neck, that fixed it but still, the neck was too slow(might be trading it in). The strat has a good neck unlike the Explorer, is lighter than my LP and has the crunch that I like. But my LP has more lows that I like and a better crunch so I normally pick it up instead. So it makes me wonder, if I buy a BC Rich, will I just still keep going back to the LP.

Do you have a guitar you keep going back to? Which one? What did you do to make use of the other guitars?

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Squier Tele is my main electric guitar.....also had a Squier Strat and an Epi Wildkat, but they never got played..l..so I sold them. I used to haave four acoustics - an Encore, a Yamaha (with cutaway) the SPT I bought off Nick and a 12-string. 12-string never got played...that was first to go. The Yamaha was made redundant, so that soon followed. The SPT is my main guitar.....the Encore's had the action raised, wears 11's instead of the 9's I normally use, and is used for slide. What I do want is another Squier Tele - for slide....then I'll have two electrics, two acoustics and a bass. Then I'll have enough to keep me busy.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Each guitar has it's moments. Right now I've been playing the strat for weeks, before that it was the jazzbox etc. Don't worry about it and get the BC. IMHO it's better to have a guitar and not use it then to need a guitar and not have it. :D

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Each guitar has it's moments.

I have to agree with Arjen. When I'm in a quiet mood I prefer my Fender acoustic. If I want to rock the house, I play my Washburn. When I want to play for fun, I play my DR 12-string. Different guitars for different moods and different music. IMHO.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I have many, but tend to rotate faves through 3 or 4. Often I choose different guitars for practice than to play out. For recording, I change up mostly for tone or trem/non-trem.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

onewingangel. as you have found out each guitar has its own characteristics. that is why I have a bunch.
I use each guitar for the different things I want to play and or record. they see rotation. quite often the guitar I pick up
has me playing a different way( songs, effect choices, tones etc). that is really cool. sure some guitars sit for months unplayed. I would sure miss one if it were gone!
I do have two guitars that ARE my go to guitars. one is my Fender strat. a killer guitar. and my old 1940 lap steel.
if I had a fire running out I would grab those.
apologies to my nice acoustic.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

As you know I keep myself to the bare minimum.

They each have their moments though:

The go to guitar, the Taylor 712ce.
The fingerpicking ethereal guitar, Breedlove Northwest
The I'm playing well today and want that warm fuzzy feeling cause I deserve it guitar, Collings OM1A
The extra Mojo guitar, The Flyde Orsino
The Big Bass what a discovery guitar, Washburn D-74s Golden Harvest
The now for something completely different guitar, Ovation Glen Campbell 12 string
The sitting on the porch guitar, Richard Mermer Evening Star #1
The recording guitar, Parker P8e
The Bluegrass pounding it out guitar, McSpadden Dread
The Beater surprise guitar, Epiphone Excellente with Brazillian Rosewood back and sides

That's only a little tongue in cheek. I do play the Taylor more than any other, but I will switch guitars based on which one fits my mood.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

OWA you have an LP now or did I miss something? :shock: 8)

My main guitar right now is my Ibanez GSA. I just really feel like playing it right now. My Gibby V, Epi LP, and Ibanez RG are sitting in their cases right now more due to the cold weather then anything. I do enjoy having them to switch around. I didn't sell any like I was thinking of doing during the holidays.

Its also good to note that when one guitar is being setup I have another one to play.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

I definitely switch back and forth. Lately I've been leaving my strat tuned down half a step, and I grab it when I want to play some SRV or Hendrix. I leave the LP in standard tuning and grab it for AC/DC, etc. And I grab the tele for mellower things. If there's a tuning that you like to play with (or that is commonly used by your favourite artists or whatever), then leave one of your guitars in that tuning and you'll grab it for that stuff, and one of the others for other things.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I have 3 acoustics and 2 electrics, the acoustics are one six string, one classical and one 12-string, so it's pretty easy going back and forth since they are all different types, although my six string is really cheap and only sounds good while playing slide guitar. As for the electrics, I have a strat knockoff and a tele knockoff. The strat knockoff has a humbucker in the bridge which sounds really good for hard rock, the tele knockoff sounds better for lower gain music.

TimeZone makes a good point, several guitars are good for altered tunings as well.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

For several years I had two: an acoustic and electric. The acoustic was a Seagull M6 and the electric is my PRS Santana SE. then last year I got a little crazy. I had always thought that a dread size was too big so i looked around and found a smaller acoustic. that's now my Martin 000C-16GTE. It has a cutaway and is acoustic-electric. But I din't sell the Seagull because why should I? right after that I bought a small $85 Amigo guitar. It has a real spruce top and I bought it to take outdoors etc with me because I wasn't going to use my "good" guitars. After that I saw a used Daisy Rock in Guitar Center. It was $200. I bought it because it has 12 strings and I figured I could use it for a while and probably sell it and get back my $200 as it really wasn't used at all. It was like new. Then a couple of months ago I HAD to have a bass. so that is five.

I was always using the Martin and the PRS. then what happened was that i picked up the $85 guitar and started playing it and I LUV LUV that one!!! its not that it sounds great, because it doesn't. It's just that it's really really easy to play and when I can't learn something (which is always), I learn it on that one. It is a half size, with 12 frets and a 1-3/4" nut so the fret board is a little wide.

So the I started thinking that since now I know the characteristics of what I like, I should find one just like the Amigo but that sounds better. So I found another Seagull on sale last week the same body size as my Martin but with a 1-3/4" nut width. it's not 12 frets though, it's 14. So it's almost. I've been looking around and what I would really like would be very costly so I'm buying the Seagull. Now i'll have too many guitars so I have an ad on Craigslist to sell the old Seagull.

To answer your question, I think it's a bit distracting to have a bunch of guitars but when you don't have them you're always thinking about another one so that's distracting too. I try to play all of them at least once in a while but I usually go to the Martin or the Amigo and to the PRS whan i want electric. For a new electric what I would like is a telecaster.

It really is an illness. the thing is, if you want the BC Rich you have to buy it. It's only through getting all the guitars that you find out what it is you really like in one. If you don't get it you'll always be thinking about it. Try buying used if you can find it.

sorry for the typos if there are any.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I have a strat, Squier tele, Epi 335. 2 acoustic guitars, a banjo, mandolin, lap steel, and a Squier 51 on its way to the dog house via UPS :lol: I play the guitars about all about the same amount of time depending on the mood I'm in or what I'm playing (rock, blues, country, folk....) The banjo gets a fair amount of play (i might pick it up 2 or 3 times a week, and the lap steel about the same. I don't play the mando that much unless I using it to record something, then I practice like crazy till I can get the part right).I view my guitars like a palette, each one has a different sound :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

P.S. If anyone want to buy a Seagull M6 it's posted in swap Meet.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, depends on what you are playing. For Rock I like my LP, for Blues I like my Strat, but now that I have the '51 I prefer that. For Country type tones I like my Tele. For really dirty Blues I like my Squier Tele. And for quiet strumming around the house, my acoustic.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OWA you have an LP now or did I miss something? :shock: 8)

I got it back in the summer.

Wow Nick, that's your bare minimum? Hate to see how many you'd have if you let yourself go.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5