Clear all

The Stratocaster Rainbow.

39 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@itchard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I didn't know if this should go in "I'm looking for a new..." but I thought I'd put it here as its more opinion than help.

I'm getting a USA Strat in the next few months, and I was wondering what colour people favoured most of all the Stratocasters...

My favourites are Sunburst, Black, and Silver.

Thoughts?

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The vintage colors, Surf Green or Sonic Blue, either one with a maple neck. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Interesting comment, that, slej. It got me thinking about the colours in the early days. In the very early 60's all I can remember were sunburst, white, red and ice blue being available. I had a Fender catalogue from that period somewhere, if I still have it I'll look up what colours they had, then.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I really like the cherry burst.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-American-Deluxe-Stratocaster-Cherry-Sunburst_W0QQitemZ190093525269QQihZ009QQcategoryZ47069QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Not sure if this is only for the deluxe or not.

Other than that, I'm down with Red, Black, and definitly White and Silver.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I adore sunbursts. cherry bursts are gorgeous.
one thing tho...
all my strats must wear maple necks or nothing at all.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@itchard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Dick-Dale Signature Strat....great paint job.

Ok, word filters won't let me say his first name, so deal with Richard Dale, instead of the shortened nickname, lol.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Interesting comment, that, slej. It got me thinking about the colours in the early days. In the very early 60's all I can remember were sunburst, white, red and ice blue being available. I had a Fender catalogue from that period somewhere, if I still have it I'll look up what colours they had, then.

Here's a link to a 1960 Fender color chart, showing Lake Placid, Sonic and Daphne blue; Surf and Foam green; Shell Pink (another favorite!), and several others:

These were considered "custom" colors; I don't know what the stock model colors were. I do believe that 1960 was the first year in which Fender had an official custom color chart.

Also on the chart, under each color it states the clear coat that was used. Duco = nitrocellulose; Lucite = acrylic.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

At the top it says that those colors, plus blond, were available for 5% additional cost! Sunburst was standard price. :lol:
How times change.

In 1960 I was still in England and Fender was imported by Selmer, who also had a habit of refinishing guitars. If someone ordered white and they only had red in stock, they'd paint it white. :shock: A pal of mine was in a group and they all ordered red Fenders - 2 Strats and a Precision bass. One Strat and The PB were one red and the other Strat was another, even though the only official red was fiesta.
I'm not sure what the "official" colours were, but I'll see if I can find the catalogue and see what was on offer

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

all my strats must wear maple necks or nothing at all.

8) Maple neck in vintage white or red. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I like that D Dale model it is a cool paint job and the one Cosmo put up the cherry burst. I have an offwhite one, not sure color they actually call it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member

My favorite colours are vintage white, and mint green. Both with aged hardware, like pickups, knobs and pickguards.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

Daphne Blue, Candy apple red and olympic white - ALWAYS with a maple neck. mmmmmmmmmmm

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I believe my favorite is called "Tobacco Sunburst", it's basically a mahogany/black combination. I wish I could paint my blue strat-copy that colour.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I'm with Mitch on this one, love the Sonic (Daphne) blue on a older looking strat.

If you are thinking about a Floyd or other modern tremolo version, my vote is for the "Candy Tangerine" color.

I also love the see-through Blue and Green.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3