Notifications
Clear all

The way you play?

21 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I'm mostly left-handed (eating, writing, brushing teeth) and play a left-handed guitar. Why? Because holding a guitar that way and using my left hand for strumming felt much more natural to me. When I was young, I always played "air guitar" left-handed and never even realized I was doing it the opposite way most people hold a guitar. I'm glad I made the decision to learn lefty even though I'm sure I could have learned righty.

My opinion is to play whichever ways feels most natural and comfortable to you. Finding lefty guitars isn't a big problem; just less of a selection immediately available in guitar shops.

One last note - I'm typically right-handed in sports: throwing, swinging bats, etc. Holding a hockey stick or baseball bat "righty" uses the same hand positions as holding a "lefty" guitar.

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Why would a right handed person play left handed guitar? That's crazy to deliberately limit your use of guitars.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I am not sure if I am right, but I think that Doyle Bramhall II is a lefthand player that plays on a righthand tuned guitar. At least it looks that way when hi is playing slide guitar on the Eric Clapton DVD "Sessions For Robert J."

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I am not sure if I am right, but I think that Doyle Bramhall II is a lefthand player that plays on a righthand tuned guitar. At least it looks that way when hi is playing slide guitar on the Eric Clapton DVD "Sessions For Robert J."

He plays with the strings reversed, (upside down) so if you flipped the guitar over to righty it would be strung normally.

You can get a much better look at his playing on the "Sessions for Robert J" cd/dvd set that came out after the EC release of "Me and Mr. Johnson" cd.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000660UN0/002-3901201-8993659?v=glance&n=5174

it is a dvd of EC, Doyle, and the band recording the latter mentioned cd. it also contains a few numbers that did not make it onto the cd as well as some video of EC and Doyle recording at the actual location Robert Johnson recorded at in the 30s.
IMO it's a "must have" for any EC or Blues fan

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Think it has something to do also with me playing violin.
Lars

There's a Bluegrass group called "Cherryholmes". They have a thirteen year old girl that plays the violin lefthanded. She can cook the strings right off that thing. By the way they are a family act, father, mother two daughters and two sons. That's one talented family!

And on a standard violin - weird!!! :shock: :shock:

[/img]

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Albert King the great Blues guitarist was left handed, but played a right handed guitar. He just flipped it over, so he had the high E string on top and the bass E string on the bottom. And could he play! Go to Opinions and Polls and see the video on Albert
King. :D

My Dad could play golf left or right handed. He had a set of right handed and left handed clubs. He would play everyday after work. He would play 9 holes righty, and then 9 holes lefty. His score was almost identical both ways. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2