Clear all

This one's for high school students...

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all my fellow students! I got a case for my acoustic guitar a few weeks ago and took it to school, and plan on taking it again. Some people wanted me to play for them, others wanted me to put the darn thing up. People generally didn't know the songs I was playing, though one girl recongized "Hey Bulldog," they laughed at my attempt at writing a song, and I made the mistake of handing it to other people who played a heck of a lot better than I do. And I almost broke it when I turned suddenly and slammed some poor girl on the head with (she was unapologetic, clearly she doesn't realize how serious a broken guitar is)

So anyone else ever take their guitars to school? Any advice, good stories, or performances you want to share? This could be an interesting topic.
8)

"You know, it eez possible to be too attractive." - Pepe le Pew

"Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes." - Bill and Ted

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Yeah, I have a jam every Wensday right after school so I have to take my guitar to school. Me and my advisory techer(he has a little guitar that he keeps in his closet and plays whens the principals arent around :wink:) jam every Wensday and hes pretty good. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

This kid I used to be friends with, had to explain something in chemistry, like he had to make a presentation. He brought his acoustic to school and take a Doors songs and changed the words around so he would sing it about his chem project. Needless to say he sucked. He kept messing up the song and couldn't sing while playing. Thank God that was 9th period, I got to go home laughing

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

lol :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I go to one of those special high schools where literally everybody has some special talent, and each day I have classes with about thirty or so people who play the guitar. Most of them dont take it too seriously though. I wanted to play in a band, but guitarists and singers are all over and drummers and bassists are hardly anywhere to be found, most are already in some band or other.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I started playing at mostly school events (mostly just talent shows and stuff like that), and that was back in grade 9 and 10. Nowadays, people really like what i do and this one guy told me that i should be playing professional and have a record deal :shock: , not that i'm trying to gloat or anything but if you keep at it and try your best everyday, you'll get better and people will appreciate what you do.

Oh, at the latest school event, I played guitar and sang, unfortunately something was wrong with the PA and the vocals couldn't be heard... but i'm not sure if thats a good or a bad thing :lol:

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Yup, my english teacher is an awesome guitarist so we play together sometimes. I played his resonator in my study hall monday, I went in and jammed. Girls love it. :lol: I have to learn a couple songs for said girls now, because they wanted to hear them. Thankfully they like radio trash which wont take me more than 15 minutes a song to learn.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Nothing cuts a straighter path to girls' hearts than radio trash. :)

If you really want to make them melt (and if you've got a great voice), learn Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley. Otherwise, just stick to fan favorites like Wonderwall, Good Riddance, and throw in Every Rose Has Its Thorn for some nostalgia value.

And if any of them dig Evanescence, learn Broken by Seether. :)

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I bring guitars to school all the time. I preform at least once a month in school. My school is small though, only about 30o students so its not like anyone is going to steal it. Sometimes people leave their guitars there for weeks on end so that its there if they need it.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Nothing cuts a straighter path to girls' hearts than radio trash. :)

If you really want to make them melt (and if you've got a great voice), learn Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley. Otherwise, just stick to fan favorites like Wonderwall, Good Riddance, and throw in Every Rose Has Its Thorn for some nostalgia value.

And if any of them dig Evanescence, learn Broken by Seether. :)

I can play Hallelujah, but I dont have the voice for it. I've had to learn Collide by Howie Day (took longer to learn the lyrics than the rythm and changes) and Good Riddance, which I could already play, and Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Winning chicks over with a guitar didn't work for me, because just when I thought I had them in the palm of my hand, my physics teacher takes it and starts a wailing Hendrix song - on an acoustic guitar of all things. :shock: So no one pays attention to me now

A word to the wise: if you have a talent, stay away from people who are more talented than you

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I gotta say guitars helped with chicks a bit. Last girlfriend sort of has a thing for the guitar players so she loved it. And the one before that plays herself, and up until she moved we jammed and preformed together alot. Plus I'm always preforming with girls for shows and stuff so thats cool to.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

I don't take my guitar to school but I have no problem playing in front of people. And yes...guitar does help with the ladies. Theres nothing better than throwing out an easy solo in front of girls, with her chin hitting the floor followed by them gossiping about how cute you were playing the thing. :D
I have to play for tsunami charity or summing in my town soon in front of a whole lotta people with a whole lotta people singing though. Hope they sing something cool.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

A word to the wise: if you have a talent, stay away from people who are more talented than you

Hahaha, Although I see your point, if I took that advice I wouldn't have met any of the great players that have taught me: my guitar teacher, my music teacher at school (who showed me alot about drumming and even a bit about guitar playing), etc.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Last year id bring my guitar to school all the time. It was fun. Me and a few friends would play guitars in the hall a lot. They were like my only friends (i was such a loser last year, first year in school and im a quiet guy). I was the best (plain and simple, not gloating, it was just true, i had double the experience as the other two though) out of the group so i taught them songs a lot. Theyd teach me some songs too. Just fun little diddies. We would jam sometimes too.

Then i changed schools this year. Theres a lot of kids that play guitar here. We all just jam around together. Its a really small school so everyone knows and trusts everyone else so people just leave guitars here sometimes. The janitor has brought in a few weird guitars before. One being a tenor guitar (i think, 4 strings, all thin) and a resonator. I love both of them. He also has brought in a Guild that is extremely blood stained on the inside. He said he cut his finger really bad and just kept playing. Thats what i like to hear.

But really no specific stories stick out in my head.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote