Clear all

tired of the sound

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

anybody ever just have an amp and just get really tired of it, i have had my crate gx212 for 4 years and i just think the sound really sucks, i mean when i first got it i was like amazing, but i feel like the amp sucks, it doesnt have the warmth and its very closed if you know what i mean, i want something better, anyone know of a tube amp the gives hi gain crunch? thats about 500-700 dollars?

(@evolution)
Estimable Member

I think a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is what you're looking for.

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

im looking something with an extremely high amount of gain like a mesa, but i got 500-700 for money

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, if you want a HIGH GAIN tube amp, the Peavey 5150 is a monster. It has 5 gain stages. You will never need a distortion pedal with this amp. The distortion is often described as "insane", "crazy", "scary", "out of control" and the like.

I believe Peavey has discontinued this amp, but you can pick them up on EBay for around the price you quoted.

I don't believe there is a more high gain amp than the 5150.

I went to EBay and typed in Peavey 5150. Here are the latest listings.

Peavey 5150

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

the 5150 2 is my dream amp but i cant afford that and a cab and pay for the shipping. plus i need something small for college, i saw at daddys something called a peavey ultra 112, i can never tell with harmony central, anybody play that? is that good for nu metal/rock?

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i have another question, say i got an amp the has only a classic rock type sound, would it be possible to put the overdrive on that amp then get some sort of pedal like a boss mega distortion and combine the two? i have never heard of that i was just wondering if that was possible and if it would produce a good sound

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

i have another question, say i got an amp the has only a classic rock type sound, would it be possible to put the overdrive on that amp then get some sort of pedal like a boss mega distortion and combine the two? i have never heard of that i was just wondering if that was possible and if it would produce a good sound

Oh yes, that would work. It's done all the time in fact because lots of the classic guitar sounds weren't just the amp - it was a combination of some effect or the other, combined with the amp tone.

And if the amp you're thinking about as described above, has a footswitch to activate/deactivate the overdrive, then you actually wind up with 4 useable, distinct tones:

1 - amp clean
2 - amp overdrive
3 - amp clean + mega distortion on
4 - amp overdrive + distortion on

The thing is, not to use too much gain/level on either the amp or the pedal at the same time or you wind up with total distortion and no distinguishable tonal character; like you wouldn't be able to tell if you have a Strat or a Les Paul plugged in.

I've...done a little experimentation with one or two distortion/fuzz boxes turned up full into a very distorted amp channel. One guitar sounds just like the other one pretty much, so by turning the distortion level down a bit, you bring back the character of the individual guitar.

Also, when you're playing live and at a good stage volume, it always sounds best to back the gain/level of the distortion effect (either on the amp on on the pedal) down a bit. Otherwise it's just total mud.

But again, yes, you can chain the effects together like that.

Go for it and have fun!

ReplyQuote