Today's Just Not My...

Notifications
Clear all

Today's Just Not My Day!!

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

First off, I had problems with my new (used) acoustic I got with the bridge plate coming off (see THIS thread. So I figured I'd put my new flatwound strings on my Ibanez. Guitar Center was out of .10 flatwounds so I went with .11's since the clerk told me that I shouldn't have to adjust much only going up one gauge (I've done it before from .09's to .10's without any problems). Well I restrung the guitar and brought it over to me practice area and I was just about to tune it up when I noticed the nut was broken at the low E string!!!! My heart just sank!! I called up Guitar Center since I figured it was only a week old and still under warrantee. The guy said sure bring it in and he'll replace the nut. Well they didn't have one that fit! So he talked to the manager and they located 2 of them in New Jersey. However, the earliest they would be in is next Friday :cry: :cry: :cry: Since it was partially the clerks fault for telling me that increasing one gauge shouldn't make a difference GC will give me a new guitar and set it up with flatwounds on it.

I am so frustrated not only because can't play my new guitar but I was JUST at GC this morning and I had to drive all the way back there just to find out I have to wait anyway!!

I'm afraid to pick up another guitar! :cry: :cry: I wanted to restring my 12 string but I am afraid at what will happen! I have the Kiss of Death today in regards to guitars!!!

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Awww sorry Mike.

I hate days like that. When it happens to me I figure I'm supposed to be doing something else instead of tinkering and plinking on my gut-fiddles.

Why just the other day I was having problems with my brain telling my fingers what to do that I gave up for the day and instead went to Lowe's and bought a bunch of flowers and planted flower baskets for my porch.

Days like this happen, no worries mate... just find something else, completely unrelated to do. BTW the flowers are finally taking hold and blooming like crazy... looking back that wasn't a bad day after all... :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Mike,

Sorry to hear about you guitars. I'd play it on the safe side and do something else today that doesn't involve guitars. Just to be safe. There's always tomorrow.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@derecola)
Trusted Member

THAT SUCKS MIKE,hope the day gets better for ya.just play the guitar today that will help.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

that's really frustrating when you're all psyched up to play and then things happen to throw you off. but there's plenty of days ahead of you and a lot of music in those guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It happens. But don't blame yourself, both are the result of defective materials.

I don't know if I would spend big money to fix a $65 guitar. I would just chalk it up to experience and make a nice piece of furniture out of it. Guitars on the wall look beautiful.

And while that guitar should have handled that .011 set, it didn't. So I wouldn't try to put .011s on again. Just wait for the 10s.

Have you tried small local music stores? Many carry nuts and saddles. Just take your guitar down to get the right size. They are usually very inexpensive.

Buy a spare as well. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

And while that guitar should have handled that .011 set, it didn't. So I wouldn't try to put .011s on again. Just wait for the 10s.

Have you tried small local music stores? Many carry nuts and saddles. Just take your guitar down to get the right size. They are usually very inexpensive.

Buy a spare as well. :D

I would Wes but it's still under warranty so I might as well have GC give me a whole new guitar as long as they are willing to. Plus the nut needs to be pried off and I don't feel comfortable doing that. GC will set it up for .11's and replace the strings I purchased so as long as the guitar plays as nice as this one I just need to be patient.

I'll drown my sorrows in a beer or two!! :cry: :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i missed that part about the new guitar. see...there is a silver lining.

i bought a Seagull as my first guitar and six or so months later after finally recognizing that it was not my playing inability, that there was actually something wrong with it, i brought it back to the store for them to look at. turns out it had a warped neck and it should never have been sold. did they take it back? no. they sent it back to Seagull who put a new neck on for free under the warranty. took six weeks.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Sorry about that Mike! Unfortunately the more guitars you have the more chance of something going wrong. Unless you want to get rid of a few you'll have to take your chances. Luckily Your under warrantee. Chalk it up to experience.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Mike,

Consider yourself lucky and fortunate and blessed. There are many out there that have but ONE guitar, and when that one is in for repair they have nothing. You have a few guitars, pick one up that you've been neglecting and get back into the game.

Enjoy the beer.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Mike,

Consider yourself lucky and fortunate and blessed. There are many out there that have but ONE guitar, and when that one is in for repair they have nothing. You have a few guitars, pick one up that you've been neglecting and get back into the game.

Enjoy the beer.

Michael

That's very true. Just had my electric out of commision for a week or so. Didn't actually have time to play the acoustic 'cause I was working on the electric. Oh well! Things are better now.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike,

Enjoy the beer.

Michael

Mike,

You're absolutely right...I am fortunate to have several options. I ended up playing my Agile learning some new rhythms using power chords...I had a lot of fun playing with them and putting a few together. I plan on continuing that today...

It's just frustrating when you get ANYTHING new and it breaks...

Thanks Everyone!

ReplyQuote