Skip to content
What do you guys th...

Notifications
Clear all

What do you guys think about ebay auctions?

20 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

or receiving any guitars through an online auction? Mainly set up, etc. of the guitar. I found one I might be interested in here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-American-Stratocaster-2004-Strat-USA-sunburst-NR_W0QQitemZ7418300668QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47069QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it looks to be in great shape, although I think the list price is kind of high when in reality all american strats are like $950, not $1400.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Sounds like this one has some upgrades. It's still only $600 I'd jump in and get some!!!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i'd be careful. there's a lot of counterfeit stuff on e-bay. check out the seller.

having said that, i got a great deal of a PRS Santana Se guitar for $400. I called the seller which turned out to be a real store and they shipped it to me for free.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

although I think the list price is kind of high when in reality all american strats are like $950, not $1400.

Actually $1400 is the list price.. not necessarily the Street Sticker Price.

But for $600.. for a real Am Strat...?? I'd jump on it, but I already have one :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

it looks real, serial number and all, and I checked out the sellers other items he's sold and he seems legit, maybe I'll call him.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

You have to be smart -- check the serial numbers and what not -- but you can find some good buys.

No matter where I buy a guitar, it goes to my Luthier for set up and a good once-over, so I just include that cost in the cost of a new instrument.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I buy almost everything on eBay now and I only got a bad deal once (my Jay Turser acoustic) and that really wasn't the seller's fault. The seller is a PowerSeller with 100% positive feedback...

However, keep in mine that there are 2 days left in this auction and the price jumps the most in the last few minutes/seconds...I promise you that this guitar will sell for AT LEAST $1000...

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I buy almost everything on eBay now and I only got a bad deal once (my Jay Turser acoustic) and that really wasn't the seller's fault. The seller is a PowerSeller with 100% positive feedback...

However, keep in mine that there are 2 days left in this auction and the price jumps the most in the last few minutes/seconds...I promise you that this guitar will sell for AT LEAST $1000...

I nearly got a Danelectro PB and J Delay pedal for $40 canadian on e-bay but within the last minute (around 30 seconds left) people started bidding and i lost, oh well 8)

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I've picked up some pretty good deals on ebay. I still do a little research before I drop lots of cash. I generally won't bid on something if they don't take paypal. Paypal can help if something goes wrong. Best of luck on biding.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Anything over about $500, you should consider asking the seller if he'd share the cost of escrow, you're talking about maybe $20 each. If he won't even consider it, even if you agree to pay the whole amount, stay away.
If it's a small item, look at the cost of postage. A lot of the scammers offer the goods relatively cheaply, but guarantee their profit by bolstering P&P. If you are looking at 10 Jazz picks for $2 but see the P&P is $10, he's earning through a back door and, clearly, attempting to mislead his potential customers. There is, of course, a cut-off point - if the ebay item plus postege is still LESS than you could buy it for, locally, then you might want to consider buying from the scammer.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member

I've bought a couple of pedals on eBay (a Boss DS-1 and an original Marshall Blues Breaker) - so far (<< touches wood) I haven't had any problems.

I'm not sure I'd buy a guitar from eBay though, I think I'd want to hold it, caress it, stroke it, kiss it, touch it......ummmmmmm......you get the idea.........I'd like to hold it before I bought it.....

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've bought 3 guitars, an amp, a speaker, pedals, noise gates and various other things off ebay and only had one problem, a volume pedal that wasn't quite in the described state. As I only paid €2,50 for it and the repair is easy, I didn't make any fuss.

If you do your research, before bidding, you shouldn't encounter problems.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I've picked up some pretty good deals on ebay. I still do a little research before I drop lots of cash. I generally won't bid on something if they don't take paypal. Paypal can help if something goes wrong. Best of luck on biding.

Joe

I do the same thing...I have had a few items lost in the mail or not shipped and PayPal has refunded my money every time...VERY good to have!

I also agree to do your research. Look to see if you can get it the same price or cheaper locally or even at online shops like Musician's Friend. If I am not saving at least 10-20% I might as well buy it from a well known dealer...

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

This is the eBay store I got my 12 string from and I am VERY happy with the guitar and the service.

Music Supply Center

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

I like e-bay, but I wouldn't buy a guitar off there. Mainly cause i want to play the guitar before i purchase it. What I get off of E-bay is pedals. I have always gotten good used pedals off e-bay and saved myself alot of money!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2