Skip to content
Too high of frequen...

Notifications
Clear all

Too high of frequencies damage amp speakers?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, my friend has gotten a theremin, they are very complicated to explain unless you hear one, but they can hit very very high notes. I would like to have him play it through my 30 watt tube amp, but i want to make sure that these very high notes won't cause damage to the speaker.

I know that guitar speakers aren't designed for bass frequencies, but I don't know if theres a high end limitation. Any one know? Thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I dont think it should be too bad. They sell theremin amps which are really just keyboard amps, pure and simple. Im pretty sure nothing bad will happen, but dont take my word for it.

Ive played keyboards through guitar amps and nothing bad happened.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Probably not an issue, but you may want to keep the Theremin's volume under control. Guitar speakers don't really reproduce extremely high frequencies that well, plus HF amplitudes tend to be small so the speaker excursion (back-n-forth motion) also is small way up in there in the ozone. Guitar speakers also happen to be rather tough when it comes to HF, because that's what gets generated in abundance when we crank the overdrive into heavy clipping and/or play with really sharp attacks.

But you want to know what is sensitive to excessive high frequency power? Tweeters. Tweeters often burn out under clipping situations, because all that HF energy is more that these little suckers are used to handling. Where will you find a tweeter? Acoustic guitar amplifiers and PA systems -- so be a bit more cautious if using the Theremin with either of these.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

gnease is exactly right. The only way you'll get in trouble with high frequencies is if you've got a crossover network and a tweeter, so the tweeter ends up getting overpowered.

A guitar amp with a single speaker, pair or quad that gets the full range of frequencies can't be harmed by feeding it high frequencies, as long as the total power isn't over what the speaker's rated for. It just won't respond well to the too-high frequencies. (You can't hurt one by playing bass guitar through it, either, it just won't respond well to the lowest frequencies.)

Theremins are cool. I've got a Moog Etherwave. Best thing for them is a keyboard or acoustic amp. Won't hurt one of those UNLESS the amp's overdriven and starts clipping.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ya. watch the output volume, but you should be ok.

I jam with a theremin player awesome stuff. I play slide guitar , and in the jam we have a violinist. we have a fretless sound.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot guys, just wanted to make sure.

I had always heard that playing a bass through a guitar amp could damage the speaker, so this is not true?

Theremins are very cool, especially with some delay added to it. I had always wondered how jimmy page got those crazy sounds on the song whole lotta love, didnt know it was a theremin untill recently.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hey dogbite, I'd like to get in on that jamming! I'm a slide player, and I play at the theremin. Haven't really gotten far up its learning curve yet, mainly because I don't have a suitable amp for it yet. Its output's way too high for a guitar amp, and it limits out in volume with a very small hand movement, just clipping harder past that. I need to make a little inline attenuator between the plug and jack with a 2K resistor across the conductors, to drop the output voltage to about 1/10 of its line level value and mess with that thing more. Moog's booklet shows the mod to swap a 1.7K load resistor for the 17K one on the output stage of the amp board, but I'm not going to mod my theremin's chassis for that. Would've been mighty nice if Moog had made it switchable!

The theremin's the ultimate in fretless sliding. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

I jam with a theremin player awesome stuff. I play slide guitar , and in the jam we have a violinist. we have a fretless sound.

That's the most awesome thing I've ever heard :D

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote