Clear all

Too Many Books

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So a couple of weeks ago after stopping at my local guitar store to buy a couple of books and I realized that I have GBAS (guitar book acquisition syndrome) the dreaded sister disease to GAS. No I didn't return the ones I was buying, but I did make a "resolution". Instead of playing a little out of several books all the time, I am limiting myself to one song book and one technique book.

Other than practicing the songs I already have on my playlist, I only play songs from the book I have out and only practice the techniques from the tech book I have out until I learn all the songs or aren't capable of playing them and then its time to put that book away, add those songs to my playlist and get out a new book.

Same thing with the technique books and it seems to really work. I always used to play until it started getting difficult and then I'd get a new book thinking that "This is the book that will teach me everything I need" when really all you need to fo is work one one thing at a time and stick to it.

I know this sounds pretty basic, but I think alot of guitar players have the same problem.

BTW, I have my wife enforce the one book at a time policy othereise I would surely cheat :)

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I agree, I have found that each book I pick up teaches the same things just a different way. I gave up buying books and stick with the ones that don't contradict each other.

Actually, the only book I look at periodically is the "Guitar for dummies" book since it knows the same bad habits I do and it is a great reference for basics.

I also narrowed my self down to one web site for learning from (this one) for the same reason.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Pup
(@pup)
Estimable Member

with me, my mind is always spinning and i get bored very easy, so i can relate to what your saying. i have been known to do the same thing, hop from one to another. it is hard to self dicipline yourself and stay on one page at a time so to speak, but it's also a very good habit to get into.

good luck

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

You know something like this seems very common sense. But I have alot of difficulty in accepting the one book at a time theory. Its like only traveling to one new place each, year or visiting until youve grown to appreciate the places youve already been, this can take a very long time.

Ive been through BAS and you know what I did? Wasted alot of money. But this doesnt mean I didnt aquire alot of useful info from each of the books. If you really take some time and flip through the table of contents on each one, besides some minor differences, most books are exactly the same anyway. Its the approach that varies from author to author.

Sometimes a concept so genuine pops up from one book that I wouldnt be anywhere close teqnique and knowledge wise to where I am today. Sometimes you get lucky.

Dont forget just because you buy a book, flip through it and stick it on the shelf, never means you cant go back and flip through it again. Who knows maybe youll scour it three months from now for every tid bit of knowledge present.

We all have something to learn, where we learn it is up to us. Just let it happen.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

I much prefer technique and theory books to songbooks. Technique and theory books teach you how to listen. And once you have some stuff down you can start figuring out tunes. Though I have never really believed that you absolutely have to learn tunes note for note from records.

ReplyQuote