14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have experience with traveler guitars? http://www.travelerguitar.com/

Are they worth the money?
How well do they take major climate changes?
Problems with airport security?
Any good alternatives?
etc.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It's alright, but you can probably find a used Hohner Steinberger copy, Steinberger Spirit or similar for less -- and the Steinies have way more vibe and utility.

Steinberger Spirit at MusicYo

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

General question for any travel guitar:
Could they handle going from a very dry place to the humid Thailand? I plan on going to Thailand for christmas and i don't want to be without a guitar for 3 weeks.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Could they handle going from a very dry place to the humid Thailand? I plan on going to Thailand for christmas and i don't want to be without a guitar for 3 weeks.

You know this is a far fetched idea but you could just buy a guitar while in Thailand. I hear its not that expensive over there and western money (ie. US) should go very far. Then you won't have to worry about transporting it. PLus if you don't want it afterward I am sure you can sell it while you're there? Or if you keep it at least it only has to make one journey instead of two.

Just a thought

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You know this is a far fetched idea but you could just buy a guitar while in Thailand. I hear its not that expensive over there and western money (ie. US) should go very far. Then you won't have to worry about transporting it. PLus if you don't want it afterward I am sure you can sell it while you're there? Or if you keep it at least it only has to make one journey instead of two.

Just a thought
That is true.... but who knows if I will run into that oppurtunity or not. Its not something that I can count on.

Would a little guitar be able to handle the trip?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Wel I am assuming her but if you're going at Christmas time you probably know someone there right? Then just call/write ahead and ask them to look for something for you?

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I wouldn't think climate change would be a big problem. I just traveled from Virginia (humidity about 90%) to San Diego (humidity less than 50%) for two weeks. My guitar showed no ill effects from the trip. Traveling with a guitar is not a problem if you take a few precautions. Hard case, loosen the strings, brace the head stock, I use bubble wrap or buy a air travel case. I don't travel often but when I do I take my axe, I've never had a problem.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Wel I am assuming her but if you're going at Christmas time you probably know someone there right? Then just call/write ahead and ask them to look for something for you?
No, i dont know anyone there. I will be just vacationing with my family.

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone carried a travel guitar onboard a plane recently? Any problems?

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

I bought a Steinberger Spirit and have used it for over a year now. I live in the Philippines and travel quite a bit here (once a month) flying to a place called Dumaguete. The Spirit fits in the overhead no problem.

I also travel to the USA twice a year - again no problem taking the Spirit as carry on luggage with me. Keeps in tune, sounds good, is very flexible.

I use a Korg Pandora as a practice amp on my travels, together with headphones. Keeps me sane while on my journies.

The guitar travels very well, stays in tune, takes hard knocks - highly recommended.

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I've flown with my acoustic several times. If you search this and the beginner's Forum, you'll find several discussions on this topic.
I bought a hardcase for my acoustic which is (I thought) pretty sturdy. If the flight isn't crowded, they may let you carry it on if you ask nicely. Unfortunately, flights are often full these days and my guitar/case is rather large. The next best option is to ask if they will gate-check your guitar. This is where they stow it with the luggage by hand as you board the aircraft (it does not suffer the normal baggage handling equipment, process, or people). I've had no problem doing this on most flights and I feel my guitar is safe.
You may need to check your guitar as baggage in some cases. I've done this several times with no damage to my guitar. However, my hardcase was cracked on a recent flight. I can't imagine how they could have managed to crack the case but now I'm more reluctant about checking my guitar.
Hope this helps.
A travel sized guitar will more likely be allowed as a carry-on due to its smaller size.

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Guitars in Thailand.

Most brand name guitars are European prices, even in the local markets (e.g. Thieve's Market).

You can get what I can only presume to be Asian models at some good prices. I looked at an "Ovation copy" (Heaven knows what the name on it was), that probably came out of the Samick factory - not bad for €70. The only drawback was that the plastic back (yes, Ovations DO have plastic backs) was not of the same material as Ovations and slipped uncontrollably.

I did see a few reasonably nice Corts (again, probably from Samick) for around the same price.

One thing to realise is that these guitars may have been in the shop for a long time (I got black fingers trying to play one guitar) - always, but always barter.

There is a guitar shop in Panthip Plaza (the greatest place in Thailand for computer stuff) - it's on the first floor. Their prices are a bit high, though.
My recommendation is to get a meter taxi to the Thieve's Market, which is actually a small area bounded by two parallel streets, joined by several side streets. There must be 20 guitar shops there, so don't be in a hurry.

And good hunting.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Guitars in Thailand.

Most brand name guitars are European prices, even in the local markets (e.g. Thieve's Market).

You can get what I can only presume to be Asian models at some good prices. I looked at an "Ovation copy" (Heaven knows what the name on it was), that probably came out of the Samick factory - not bad for €70. The only drawback was that the plastic back (yes, Ovations DO have plastic backs) was not of the same material as Ovations and slipped uncontrollably.

I did see a few reasonably nice Corts (again, probably from Samick) for around the same price.

One thing to realise is that these guitars may have been in the shop for a long time (I got black fingers trying to play one guitar) - always, but always barter.

There is a guitar shop in Panthip Plaza (the greatest place in Thailand for computer stuff) - it's on the first floor. Their prices are a bit high, though.
My recommendation is to get a meter taxi to the Thieve's Market, which is actually a small area bounded by two parallel streets, joined by several side streets. There must be 20 guitar shops there, so don't be in a hurry.

And good hunting.
thanks, i'll look into that.

I will probably end up going with a travel guitar though. Most likely, I will be doing touristy stuff with my family, so I think a travel guitar is the better option.

I will probably check out the theives market though. And I have been to pantip plaza before. I love that place.

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member

I took my guitar with me to Ireland this summer. That went okay, but that is only two hours away from where I live. I think that if you take good care of it, like has been said, hard case, bubble plastic, loosening the strings etc it should be okay. And ask for some fragile stickers when checking in ^^

ReplyQuote