Tremolo in classical

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys,
Do you know anything about what they mean when they say tremolo in classical guitar.Also is it really difficult to play and yet very good to listen to?Is it like tremolo picking in folk guitar.i believe its done fingerstyle.Just clarify
Thanks

(@alangreen)

Hiya,

ok - finger a chord. Try Am. Play a note on one of the bass strings with your thumb, and then play one of the treble strings three times using your fingers in the order a-m-i (the same note three times)

Repeat lots of times - p-a-m-i. Change chord occasionally, and change bass or treble strings, but always play the same note three times on the treble strings. Try changing chord within a bar, that's fun too, but do try to avoid a "galloping" sound. For "galloping" sounds listen to Liona Boyd.

Something to listen to: Recuerdos de la Alhambra (Francisco Tarrega) - features four minutes of tremelo at 126 bpm or thereabouts (that's 126 repeats of p-a-m-i per minute - 504 notes per minute). John Williams plays it crushingly perfect. Lots of other players give it some room to breathe.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

hey alan,
thanks.Also would you please tell how can i listen to all of the composers you mentioned above.I unfortunatly dont have midi device in my computer.Any other way.Can i get tabs of tremolo (i don't know how to read music , not perfectly atleast).Thanks again though :P

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Repeat lots of times - p-i-m-a.
Do you mean p-a-m-i?

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

you can play it either p-a-m-i or p-i-m-a

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You can also do p-i-m-i, p-m-i-m, p-m-a-m, and p-a-m-a. I practice them all; in performance I tend to use p-a-m-i for figures like that.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Repeat lots of times - p-i-m-a.
Do you mean p-a-m-i?

Dangit. Yes - p-a-m-i. I've changed the original post.

A :oops:

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

ok - go here and have a listen to/ download large amounts of Classical Guitar MP3's.

Clickety click

Many of these are free downloads, and those you have to pay for are clearly marked. Some of the freebies are excellent, and sometimes you have to be fluent in Finnish just to read the page.

Enjoy,

A :-)

ReplyQuote