Clear all

Tuners...

16 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Sometime in the last week I lost my QuikTune tuner. It's like it completely dropped off the face of the planet. I have no idea what happened, but it's an excuse to upgrade to a chromatic. An obvious choice is the Korg CA-30:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/210527/

I've also seen those Intellitouch tuners that clamp onto the headstock and sense vibrations physically. One is 30 bucks and the other is 50, I really can't tell much of a difference between them other than a backlight.

What do you guys use? Any horror stories?

-Metaellihead

(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

If you are gigging then you want to get the one with the backlight. Lucky you living in the States these tuners work out at $53 and $80 respectively here in the UK, :x but they are bloody good :!:

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I got a quik-tune free with a guitar a year or so back, never used it....I've had 2 korg tuners, still use either one of them every time I tune up....simple to use, you can tune to standard or down by up to a full tone per string....and they fit nicely in your back pocket....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I use a Boss TU80, and whatever tuner is inside the v-amp, GX700 etc. Ironic how both my V-amp, GX700 and TU80 are all set to A440, yet all tune my guitar slightly diferent. I trust the TU80 most though. Waiting for the Behringer tuner pedal hits the streets...

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I've got the CA-30's cheaper little bro - the Korg GA-30 and it's been great.

Korg GA-30

I can either plug the electric straight into it, or just let it pick up the sound , either from an accoustic or an electric guitar.

I've also got a Korg Metronome - the MA-30 (they sure like "30" in their names! :) )

Korg MA-30 Digital Metronome

I bought the digital metronome because it has a volume control on it (and a headphone socket). I can put it on the music stand and not annoy everybody in the house with the clang... clang... ping.. of the mechanical type.

Their stuff seems great. No problems with it here anyway. :D

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I have the Boss TU80 and love it. It has the built in guitar tuner, bass tuner and also chromatic and seems to be pretty accurate. The added metronome, although pretty basic, is handy. It works well with electric plugged in and acoustic with it's built in mic. It is small and fits just about anywhere and the batteries last forever.

I bought a 2 foot patch cord and leave it in line most of the time just sitting on top of my amp (Velcro).

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I have the Sabine, MT9000 tuner metronome. Don't bother with this one as the mic is already giving me problems ~ 3 mo old. I am going to look into the TM - 40 to have all in one. Like Chris I have a MA-30 I think is great, just want 1 thing on my music stand and that would help.Korg MT-40

John M

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member

I've got a Korg CA-30...great little tuner, and really easy to use. IMO the best value on the market.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Korg-CA30 is good, I've got one. Had some other Korg tuner (cheaper) that was pretty good for a couple of years, but it quit working, thus the CA30. My Boss ME-50 has a tuner, but have not used it yet.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have the PC AP Tuner, a Korg CA-30, the tuner in my Pandora PX4 and, now, a Korg DT7 for my Buzz Feiten fitted Washburn.

If I was starting all over again, I'd buy one with a good metronome built in.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have the Intellitouch with the backlight. $49 at Guitar Center.
It is a great chromatic tuner and really serves the purpose I bought it for.
I had problems using a standard microphone tuner in noisy places (like here at work) when tuning my acoustics.
The Intellitouch doesn't use sound, it senses vibration when clipped to the headstock. Problem solved and it works great.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

If I was starting all over again, I'd buy one with a good metronome built in.

I have a Korg chromatic tuner (I think the CA-30) and an analogish metronome (with a turn dial and only clicks). I would also buy a chromatic tuner with a builtin metronome if I were to do it again, because it reduces the number of small accessories.

I can use an extra tuner, but I don't think I need two metronomes, so it does not make sense for me to buy one of those now. Will wait until either the tuner or the metronome quit working.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I usually use a QuikTune, because it's so portable - fits right in any of my guitar cases. If I need to touch up tuning during lessons, I often just use my piano. I've also got a pedal tuner that's really sensitive, but a pain to use unless I'm already plugged into it... I guess I've never gotten used to bringing it out with my other stuff.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Save up for a BOSS TU-15!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I have the Seiko ST767 Chromatic Tuner.

http://www.mooresmusicemporium.com/product_info.php?products_id=6424

Funny thing is, I bought mine for $20 from GC a long time ago. They don't carry them any more or else I would buy 5 more!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2