Notifications
Clear all

Tunning

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@msprah)
Topic starter  

I've been a giutar player for years. I 've allways had trouble with tunning. Just never could devlope a good ear. But thanks to the Electric tunner, that is a small problem. A few years ago I was diagnoised with cancer. Brain tumors on both the left and right side of my brain, as well as bone cancer. So my hearing has been compromised evan greater. Recently my fingering ability has been reduced. So I have been wanting to learn the mandolin since the neck is so much smaller. For Christmas my wife gave me a mandoline. I love it. But now I have the problem of tunning it. I am able to tell when the string pairs are in tune with each other a.k.a. "G &G". But I just can't get them to standard pitch. I need a solution. I love my new toy, but I'm unable to tune it, HELP!

Thanks, Royce

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You have a couple of options.

1. If you have a PC and a microphone (or the mandoline has a pickup), you can get a tuner software off the internet and use your PC as a tuner.
Click here to get the AP Guitar Tuner

2. Buy a chromatic tuner. Korg CA30 is a good option for around $20.

Both of these will allow you to tune to any tone you want. What it can't do for you is determine the correct octave - which could lead to broken strings. You may need to use the reference tone (built in to the tuner - AP doesn't have one) to get one string close to concert A. From there you can roughly tune the rest (against the one tuned to concert A) and, then accurately tune them with the tuner.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

An electronic chromatic tuner is a great option.

And welcome to the musical madhouse!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

AP Tuner tells you what octave you're in.

ReplyQuote