Turn The Page - Capo Placement

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello guys and gals,

I am going to be playing this song this weekend with a friend of mine and I have a quick question.

I was thinking instead of playing this song with 2 acoustic guitars in the same position that I would look into playing my guitar with a capo instead.

The songs chords are EM - D - A, although there is a quick C Chord in it as well.

I looked at David Hodges' 'Underappreciated Art Of Using A Capo' for help. I notice that it seems the 7th fret capo placement has the most in common for this song. The chords than become Am - G - D. Although, I don't see a C chord in there. Does anyone have a suggestion for this? Or would it simply be that I don't play the C chord? Would anyone have a suggestion for a different placement of the capo?

Thanks in advance,

Lunarist

(@joepiwong)

Hello guys and gals,

I am going to be playing this song this weekend with a friend of mine and I have a quick question.

I was thinking instead of playing this song with 2 acoustic guitars in the same position that I would look into playing my guitar with a capo instead.

The songs chords are EM - D - A, although there is a quick C Chord in it as well.

I looked at David Hodges' 'Underappreciated Art Of Using A Capo' for help. I notice that it seems the 7th fret capo placement has the most in common for this song. The chords than become Am - G - D. Although, I don't see a C chord in there. Does anyone have a suggestion for this? Or would it simply be that I don't play the C chord? Would anyone have a suggestion for a different placement of the capo?

Thanks in advance,

Lunarist
You can try putting the capo on the 5th fret. If the key of the song is in C, you can use the chords from the key of G to complement the other guitar.

8)

ReplyQuote
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So the chords EM - D - A are in the key of C? If I put the capo on the 5th fret what chord fingering would I use for the above 3 chords? Once I know I can look at a capo chart and than figure out why it this way.

Thanks,

Lunarist

ReplyQuote
(@joepiwong)

So the chords EM - D - A are in the key of C? If I put the capo on the 5th fret what chord fingering would I use for the above 3 chords? Once I know I can look at a capo chart and than figure out why it this way.

Thanks,

Lunarist

It seems to be in the key of C. Are there any other chords besides those 3?

Anyway, assuming it is in the key of C, placing the capo on the 5th fret will mean that you need to play in the key of G corresponding to those chords. This would be Bm, A and E with capo on 5th fret.

In other words,
Guitar#1 plays Em, D and A as per normal (key of C)
Guitar#2 plays Bm, A and E with capo on 5th fret (key of G)

Henceforth, with the capo on 5th fret, you are essentially playing in the key of G and all chords must come from this key, eg G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em and F#dim.

Hope the explanation is clear enough.

:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

In other words,
Guitar#1 plays Em, D and A as per normal (key of C)
Guitar#2 plays Bm, A and E with capo on 5th fret (key of G)

Jo is right about the chords, but not about the keys... I'm pretty sure the natural key is D (with F# and C#, no G#), but I've been off on this before.

Most minor chords are not fun to play (like Cm, Fm, or Gm), so the options are limited.

Capo-2: Dm C G
Capo-5 as above
Capo-7: Am G D (which is why it's a farovite)

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Here's how you figure it out...

Every time you move up one fret with the capo, you move down 1/2 step with the chord you need to finger to get the same sound. You can make up a little chart for a song... here's the four chords you need:

Capo at:
(no capo) Em A D C
fret 1 Ebm Ab Db B
fret 2 Dm G C Bb
fret 3 Dbm Gb B A
fret 4 Cm F Bb Ab
fret 5 Bm E A G
fret 6 Bbm Eb Ab Gb
fret 7 Am D G F
fret 8 Abm Db Gb E
fret 9 Gm C F Eb
fret 10 Gbm B E D

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot guys, it is clear to me now. It looks like the easiest place to play it is indeed on the 7th fret, although the 5th looks okay if I can nail down the Bm chord shape.

Thanks for your input,

Lunarist

ReplyQuote