Clear all

Two capos at the same time?

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Watching a live show recently, I noticed that, for one song, the guitarist had two capos on at the same time.

I wasn't sitting close enough to be sure, but the higher one may not have been across all 6 strings. But he definitely made a point of putting on two (one on the first fret and one across the third fret). He also seemed to be playing "across" the 3rd fret capo (in that he moved his hand over the capo for some chords).

He seemed to quickly retune his guitar before and after the song, so it could have been some alternate tuning thing, but then again, I haven't seen such a thing before.

Can anyone tell me what he might have been doing? Are the alternate tuning techniques with multiple capoes? Or normal techniques with two capos?

Thanks,
Christopher

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

one of them was prolly backwards to only cover 3 strings. ive seen guys do this alot for an impromptu alternate tuning.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

In one of the recent issues of Guitar World Acoustic they had an interview with Emmylou Harris and Mark Knopler about their new album and Emmylou said that she uses 2 capos on occasion. 1 is normal and the other is a half? capo that only covers 3 strings. She didnt go into any other detail.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

There are any number of "partial capos" out on the market. Some cover on or two strings (like "Woody's G Band") and some are designed to cover all strings but you can adjust them so that they don't fit across all four strings (such as the "Third Hand Capo").

A number of artists, such as Willie Porter, even have custom designed partial capos. You can do it yourself by buying something in the Kyser style and cutting out the part that covers the string you want to be unaffected.

When you see someone using two, chances are really good that the capo higher up on the neck is a partial capo of some sort.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

Yes, check out this http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-10,GGLG:en&q=partial+capo to see a lot of different partial capos. The full capo changes the key of the guitar and the partial works for simplified fingering. I think Chris Tomlin and a number of other praise and worship artists use the partial capos to make it easy to strum and lead worship. I have thought they were pretty cool, but have never tried them.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I've never heard of it, but I'm definatly gonna try it!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

Here is another specific link http://www.bos-capos.com/index.html with information. Let us know how it works out.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That "cut capo" is pretty weird. Still, it makes for some interesting chords.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 Gina
(@gina)
Estimable Member

WOW I've never heard of this! I'm going to try it! How cool!

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

ReplyQuote