Clear all

Two teachers?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

What are your thoughts on having two different teachers at the same time? I currently have to drive 20 miles to another town for lessons(1/2 hour once a week) To be honest 1/2 hour at a time is all my brain can handle so don't really want to stretch them to an hour. Been playing for two years and not an expert by any stretch. .Just heard about a lady in our town who also gives lessons from her home at a very reasonable price. Don't want to dis my current teacher but thought that I may get a different perspective from a new one. Practice time is not really a problem as I am retired. Any thoughts appreciated especially from those that give lessons.
Robbie

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I dont teach guitar. but two thoughts came to mind.

I like your idea about another perspective. you could run with that to good benefit.

after two years of lessons ...I would think that would be enough.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You could also take a lesson or two from the new one and then decide if two is right for you and if not which one to stick with. Kind of like comparison shopping.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I play two distinct styles of music, and I have a teacher for each style.

If you're at a level where you're figuring out stylistic nuances, having a specific teacher for a specific goal is not a bad idea at all.

If you're still learning basic techniques, then it might be more harmfull than helpfull in the short term as you figure out the differences between the two.

I'd discourage any student of my own from having more than one teacher until they can at least play the major and minor scales in 12 keys and 3 different positions, and know how to play the major and minor chords in 3 inversions. In other words, they really have the basics down.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

after two years of lessons ...I would think that would be enough.

I strongly disagree with that statement. Pretty much no matter what your level of skill/experience, the right teacher can both challenge and help you.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I read something http://www.mamimusic.com/studying_guitar.htm that recommended you have multiple teachers, or teach yourself a few things on the side. The reason being it helps learn multiple perspectives and helps you develop your own. I don't know if that's true or not because I don't have a teacher, but I thought I'd post the link anyway.

ReplyQuote