UK customs fees...

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
Im looking to import a guitar from US as its far cheaper. But does anyone have any idea of the customs fees i'll have to pay??? The guitar is $1449.99 - It works out almost £200 cheaper for me...I just don't want most of that saving lost because of damn taxes!

(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

According to the Customs and Excise Web Site it looks like you will be liable for Standard duty rate between 3.7 and 3.2% and VAT at 17.5%. :(

Have you taken into account shipping charges also.

Not so much of a bargain all of a sudden. :(

Helpful links:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&propertyType=document&resetCT=true&id=HMCE_CL_001454

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_009989&propertyType=document Download the .pdf file.

HTH.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Have a look at this page, http://shortlink.co.uk/b8f , it's the comments from the UK in the warmoth.com shipping costs section - lots of examples of what people paid by value and hassles to get around.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

don't forget VAT and charges apply to shipping too

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

You poor buggers!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Ha - I was lucky....i actually was overseas for a few years and returned to Australia with;
Digital camera (from London)
Digital video camera (from London)
iPod mini (from Tokyo)
Laptop (Vancouver)
Fender Highway 1 telecaster (San Fransisco)

With all my baggage etc - so I walked through Sydney Airport barely able to carry my gear and decided to risk it and go through the 'nothing to declare' lane. If I had to pay customs it would have been 10% GST plus whatever import tax. At least $1500 I think.

Anyway, everything was going smoothly and I was putting my gear through the scanners when this customs guy says "Hey is that an electric guitar?" My heart rate went to about 200bpm and as casually as I could manage I answered "yeah".

The customs guy said "Cool man!" and that was it! I got my stuff out the other side and legged it to the nearest cab!!

Ahhhh!! Nothing feels better than getting away with tax avoidance! :)

And no one forward this to customs please :)

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I dont like VAT!!! :cry:

That really applies to stuff I buy overseas? Oh well....guess i'm gonna have to shell out the whole £960 :evil:

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Ahhhh!! Nothing feels better than getting away with tax avoidance! :)

And no one forward this to customs please :)

My God man, you dont admit that stuff!! :lol: Funny story

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

You'll never beat the system but you can score "little victories". :wink:

It's the little victories which make it all worthwhile. :lol:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

$1,500? :twisted: Wow that's a lot of taxes!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote