Clear all

Uniform Neck Profile??

16 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've got my eye on a guitar from Rondo, an Agile AL-2800.

http://www.rondomusic.net/product410.html

According to the description, this model has a "uniform neck profile". Can anyone explain to me the significance...pro's, con's....of this?

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I think it means that the whole neck is one shape, and does not get thinner toward the higher frets like other necks.

Pros (maybe)

For people with larger hands, they get the same comfortable neck profile throughout the whole guitar, which is more uh..comfortable for them to play on higher frets,

Cons (not sure)

For people with normal hands, the neck shape and size might not be that comfortable and as a result, the whole neck is in a bad shape for your hands.

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That doesn't sound like it would suit me very well. I have small-ish hands. But I'd like to get my hands one just to try it.

What do you think about the finish on that thing?

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I wouldn't know bout the finish bout ask some people here, mikespe and ricochet, becuase I know they own Agile les pauls. I believe they said that it's a very solid and well applied finish.

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

No, I was just asking about the so-called "silverburst" finish on the one in the link. I thought it was pretty unique. I like it.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

is that the same on all the 2800s or just this model?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

There may be a couple other models available with this "uniform neck profile", but most of them have a "normal" neck, from what I can tell.

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Here's something I don't understand, though....

here are some spec's from Rondo's website......

Width of the neck at the nut: 1 5/8"; at the 21st fret: 2 3/16"
Neck taper/thickness at the 1st fret: 21.5 mm; at the 12th fret: 23.5mm

When they talk about "WIDTH", I assume they're talking about width across the fretboard. When they talk about "THICKNESS", are they talking about the thickness through the fretboard, as if you were to drill a hole down through the fretboard to the back of the neck?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i believe that's right

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK, so a uniform neck profile means that the neck doesn't get thicker as you move down towards the pickups.....

Hmmm.....I don't know how I'd like that.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I have the 2000 and I think the neck is perfect. When they say "for Fast Play" they mean it. I seems to play much better and "faster" on this guitar than my othet 2 guitars...

You won't be disappointed with one of these.....but if you are Kurt has a good return policy...he has to because he knows people have to play a guitar to see if they like it and since he is the only dealer of Agile's in the country he knows not everyone will like them...

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

From what I gather from the Rondo site, the models with the uniform neck profile are somewhat special. There must be people who like that style of neck. It appears that all of the models are also available with your everyday tapered neck.

I'm looking at the 2500 in Heritage Cherry too, and that's probably what I'll end up going with.

Mike, if you run across anything you DON'T like about your 2000, I'd be inetrested in hearing about it.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

"Uniform neck profile" does sound a bit vague. :?

Sounds like some sort of army regulation about how short your haircut is supposed to be. I can just hear some drill sergeant shouting:

"Soldier! Your uniform neck profile is a disgrace! Confined to barracks for a week. And get a haircut you 'orrible little man".... :shock:

It does seem to refer to the thickness along the necks with the Agiles. But there's a reference to it on this site too:

Scroll down to "critical zone" and a close up pic of the neck join area

Another page describes their necks thus:

"U.S. Masters Extended Uniform Neck Profile including our Conical Radius Fingerboard is reported by players to reduce fatigue, even carpal tunnel syndrome, and allow them to play things they can't physically achieve on other necks. The shape is more uniform along a longer length of the neck than other designs making a more consistent uniform feel over the entire neck. It's easier to play, more responsive and allows more expression. As several players have said, "It feels like an old friend." "...already broken in, like I've been playing it for years." Players claim that they play better on our necks."

I think in that case it still means that the thickness (and maybe other general ratios too?) remain similar, giving a more even feel all the way down - but it's not exactly crystal clear. Couldn't they just say "thickness" if that's what they mean?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

So does this mean the neck is thicker (f'board to back) at the nut than normally expected or thinner near the joint or both? If the first, it sounds suspiciously similar to what is called a batball bat neck -- esp. on Teles.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike, if you run across anything you DON'T like about your 2000, I'd be inetrested in hearing about it.

The ONLY thing thing that can even come close to me disliking about the Agile is that the jack kept coming loose. Finally I took it apart and put a little Liquid Nail (didn't have any LockTight) on the threads. I hope that works...

As for playability...I have never played a Gibson LP nor a high end Epi LP...but I have played the Epi Standards and Studios and IMHO I think the Agile blows them away...PERIOD! However, keep in mind I have only been playing for 2 months so my experience is very limited and knowing what to look for.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2