Notifications
Clear all

Vintage Guitars?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@da-monkee)
Topic starter  

To carry on from my last story, that's if you remember it (here) Back then I was looking at an Epiphone Les Paul Studio, but I decided against that, and chose to look for an Epiphone LP Special 2 instead. Today I went into three guitar shops, all three of them didn't have any LP Special 2's - all sold out. Anyway, in the first shop I was reccomended a Vintage LP, or whatever the model was called - looks just like an LP. The guy said that it was of a higher quality than the Epiphone and also showed me the Vintage version of the 'SG' too.

In the two other guitar shops, they both had very similar Vintage guitars, and also Tokai & Tanglewood versions of the LP. I've done a search on the net and found info on the Tokai's and Tanglewoods but can't seem to find anything at all on the Vintage (as in no official site, just guitar sites selling them). So, has anyone heard of Vintage guitars - or know anything about them?

Thanks

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've only seen the Vintage brand mentioned in the British guitar mags -- most -- if not all -- of us in the states have probably never played one. One of your UK compatriots, e.g., Greybeard, Pet or Alan Green, might have some experience with these.

BTW, my impressions from the reviews is that Vintage makes respectable clones, but no one ever raves about them -- sort of Epi-like in that regard. A lot of reviewers do like Tokai. The Love Rock (LP clone) is said to be well crafted, though the pickup tone is a bit different than classic Paul and may or may not be to one's taste.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Just noticed that Vintage is one of the advert sponsors of the guitar calendar hanging in my office. This is the website provided:

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

Yes, Vintage guitars are made by John Hornby Skewes, the same company that make Encore guitars. Vintage is their more upmarket brand.
They do make pretty good quality LP copies, certainly in my opinion better made than most epiphones.

However, If you can afford one, I recomend you go for a Tokai. They are slightly more expensive, but built like tanks, and have a bit more character to them.

Best advice is to just play a few and see what you like best.

Peter

ReplyQuote