Clear all

Vox Tonelab or Line 6 POD?

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm gonna start wondering into the world of recording and i was wondering what should i get, Tonelab(not SE) or POD? I've kinda been leaning towards the Tonelab cause it has a tube, but ive heard nothing but good things about the pod. also id like to mic it instead of running it strait to the computer (apple imac) because i want to record my acoutic too(not acoustic/electric) so i was wondering if i could plug it into my beringher amp(i dont want to spend any more money than i have to, and plus, the beringher came stock with a jesen!) and record it. i also was wondering if i could record it with the mic that came with it, or if i have to get a new one. It will pretty much have to be usb, or come with some sort of adapter. Thanks for listining to my rambling! :roll:

Stairway to Freebird!

(@sozay)
Estimable Member

well, i cant really recommend on against the other. i havent used either, but i've got a PODxt in the mail which i should have in my sweaty little hands by friday... cant wait... i ordered it about 2 months ago...
line6 seem to offer more upgrades on there website to keep improving its performance, and it has usb out.. (im not sure about the tonelab)
anyway, having not tried both try this thread
http://homerecording.com/bbs/archive/index.php/t-139009.html
cheers
sozay

currently number 60 in total posts... and shooting for number 1!!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks, that really helped... :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

If this is your first venture into home recording then you will be totally knocked out by either.
It really is increadible what you can do at home for little money with these nowadays.
I personally went for the PodXT and it was an exellent choice , there will always be different opinions on this but the "community" for tones and help etc is really good on the line6 stuff and I know I made the right choice.
My PodXT has given me a new enthusiasm for my music and has blown everyone away that has heard it.

Buy one at the lowest price you can get and try it you will still get your money back (and more) if you then dont like it and sell it on ebay !!!!
The settings take a little getting used to but once you get the basics down almost any tone is got quickly.
Remember to put it through your effects loop on your amp when not recording for best sound.

Pod XT gets my vote ,I put it at my all time 2nd best buy next to my Aria PE aniversary and Ive bought and sold a lot of stuff searching for "my" sound.

Im a VERY happy Pod user

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Also, would this work: guitar>Pod or Tonelab>Beringher amp(used as cabenit)>Mic(what is best for $50? I still might get the sm57)>cheap tape recoder or computer.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

For a first venture into the world of modeling i would recommend a POD 2.0 (the one that was before the PODxt). Though the PODxt has more features and stuff, the POD 2.0 is much easier to use.

I have the PODxt and a semi-friend of mine has the POD 2.0. I find it easier to get great tone (or good tone) on the POD 2.0.

The XT is just more complex.

I myself am actually going to get a POD 2.0 soon (but im keeping the PODxt) so that I can have that wonderful ease of use (and the power of the XT when I need it).

The PODxt also has a few downfalls such as fizz (a high frequency buzzing on a few high-gain models, its not very loud but it is noticeable on SOME patches. There are also some fixes to it but I have not tried them.). The downfalls are sure to be addressed someday soon but they havent been yet.

There are advantages to the XT. Deep editing is one. You can alter every parameter of everything effecting the tone.

You can also purchase model packs that contain a large number of new amps and cabs and effects. There is a "Boutique" model pack that has a bunch of retro, classic amps in it as well as some great clean amps. There is a "Metal" model pack that has a bunch of sweet high-gain models perfect for metal as well as (strangely) some great clean amps. There is also an "FX-Junkie" model pack full of sweet effects such as ring modulators and organ or keyboard simulators, its very cool.

All in all its a toss up between the two. If you want THE perfect tone (for the moment) then go for the PODxt, it'll take some more learning and getting used to as well as more tweaking, but in the end it is more powerful. If you want just a great tone that isn't hard to find on your own then go for the POD 2.0.

My suggestions 8).

PS- that would work but id just go direct into a nice, quality sound card or into a soundboard.

PPS- The POD series (and all Line 6 amps) are great for live acts. Especially cover bands that play a lot of covers. I am planning on getting the Atomic Reactor 112 (I think thats what it is called) to play live. It gives the amp a great feel. It feels like a tube amp because it is, its a tube power amp. It is also compatible with any modelers. Just a suggestion to those looking to try modeling amps out.

P.S.- What part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were removed. (Attributed to the Great Mitch Hedberg)

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@danrobertson)
Eminent Member

Can someone answer me a super newbie question? :)

Do you hear the effects/amps sounds of the POD/Tonelab as your playing or is it added to a recording afterwards. I would assume it is the former although I need clarification.

Might consider getting one just to play with.

Cheers.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

You hear it as you're playing. It's "just" an effects unit, though a very powerful one.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

I think I should put in a word for the Vox Tonelab.

If it's quality of sound your after, go for the Tonelab. It's effects are of truly proffessional standard, and it's models are in my opinion far better, more real than the Pod.

I personally find the Pod (And a lot of digital modellers) to sound very plastic, characterless, and rather lacking in tone. The vox sounds more like a real amp, rather than a reproduction.

Having said that, the Pod is THE indstry standard, and is packed with features. However, I just don't like their tone.
The key thing here is to try them out before you buy. Find which one you prefer to use, and which you prefer the sound of.

Just a thought, why not plug direct to the computer when playing electric, and only mic the acoustic? It might be simpler (Fewer trailing wires to trip[ over!)

If you like Behringer gear, maybe take a look at their V-Amp. Theyre basically very similar to the POD, but have a few different features, and are rather cheaper.

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I've had my Tonelab SE for about nine months now, and love it to death for both recording and stage use. Most of the factory presets are actually useful, and if you spend a bit of time tweaking, you can come up with some really tasty sounds.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think I might go for the Tonelab, because it's supposed to be really easy to use. And I like the sound of tube. I really dont need super-hi gain models, I prefer the sound of a cranked tube amp(the Vox is supposed to be bad on the mega distortion side, but i dont need that.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Id have to disagree about the POD not being as "real" sounding or whatever. Its not true. Ive played around with a ToneLab SE in a store and I did think it was good but not nearly as good as the POD series. I would never exchange my PODxt for a ToneLab. It may simply be personal preference but I think the POD wins by a longshot.

Also im not a metal player. Moreso blues and crap like that.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Can someone answer me a super newbie question? :)

Do you hear the effects/amps sounds of the POD/Tonelab as your playing or is it added to a recording afterwards. I would assume it is the former although I need clarification.

Might consider getting one just to play with.

Cheers.

You'll hear the effects when you play. However, when recording, many prefer to record somewhat 'dry' without effects, and add them later in the recording process. That gives you more leaway to make changes.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@danrobertson)
Eminent Member

I thought I posted this earlier but nevermind (early morning :)).

I was thinking of getting the vox ad30vt so would there be a point of getting a tonelab too? Since they share the VT technology surely some features would overlap? I've heard the tonelab is better for playing live with and sounds better through an amp rather than for direct recording and I would mainly use it for the former.

Cheers for the earlier clarification.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I thought I posted this earlier but nevermind (early morning :)).

I was thinking of getting the vox ad30vt so would there be a point of getting a tonelab too?

If you're going to get a valvetronix amp, get the foot controller for it also - you'll come out ahead in cost. Plus keep in mind that the higher powered VT amps have a variable power amp that can be adjusted anywhere from 1 watt to full power.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2