Wanna new guitar, but don't know quite what to look for

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dr-feelgood)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi

I've been playing for about 2 years, have a couple of cheap £250 guitars.
1 semi accoustic and a electric guitar, I think its a strat fender (CORT G250), I don't know enough about the hardware side of guitars just know how to play it.

I wanna new electric guitar but not sure about price and quite what i am looking for.

I love to play alot of lead stuff, what I am looking for is one of the guitars people like slash from GNR play, motley crue, poison. all the hard rock l8 80s bands.

that sound of loud, high pitch, sharp, screaming sound.
maybe a les paul gibson if i am right, i dunno.

How much would some of these guitars cost maybe even clone of gibson or any other type of guitar that sounds like they did in those bands i tried to describe. Do you know what they played?

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Gibsons clone is made by Epiphone. I know in the states you can get Epiphone pretty cheap but, I don't know what it is over seas, I hear they are a little more expensive.

You could also look into Dean guitars. They use a double humbucking system. Arjen knows more about them than me.

Basically anything with two humbuckers is what you seam to want to look into.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Hmm... guitar buying tips...

1. Find the sound properties you want in a guitar, and use that as your criteria, as opposed to the manufacturer, color, style, etc.

2. Test your guitar candidates through a host of amplifiers. An amp really colors your sound, and you want to make sure you're selecting based on the guitar, not the amplifier.

3. Test in similar conditions to what you have. Playing a 350 watt half stack in a huge open room is not a good comparison between your 25 watt amp and your usual practicing location of your bedroom. Find a similar amp, put it in a similar space, and objectively compare it to what you want and have.

4. Avoid features that you don't use. Having a huge, complex double-locking tremolo system is NOT a feature if you aren't going to use it. Don't pay for it if you don't need it. My motto is generally: Buy the simplest equipment that fulfills your needs. It can save you time, money, and maintanence, and if you're honest about your needs, it never costs you a thing.

About your question specifically, you need to understand that a lot of tone comes from the player, not the instrument. Les Paul style guitars are known for their warm, smooth sound that responds to high gain very well. A crisp, biting sound can be had, but is more readily coaxed from a superstrat type guitar (think Ibanez RG, Jackson, etc). These guitars are more often thought of as creating the 80's sound.

Try EVERYTHING, don't settle, get the best you can get, and be aware of the other factors that contribute to the sound.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote