Clear all

Webstrings

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I recently bought a few packages of strings from Webstrings to try them out. I kept hearing about them because they are so cheap. Well, I strung up the Strat with a pair and I think they are good strings. At like $2.35 a pack, you can't beat the price. They ship super fast too.

Has anyone else used these strings? Comments?

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

(@ginger)
Reputable Member

Dr Ducks Deluxe. The tone is amazing. I've tried webstrings before and ummm, well, not that impressed with the tone. they are ok i guess but not what i was looking for. If you wanna try a great string at a great price you should try Dr. Ducks. Here's a link if you wanna check them out.

http://www.ducksdeluxe.com

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I guess my ear just hasn't matured or I'm not that picky, because the Webstrings sound fine to me. :)

We sound like we are making a commission or something! :)

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Haven't tried Webstrings, but I've gotten some good deals on strings from: http://juststrings.com/

I've put together custom gauged sets by ordering a dozen of each of the individual size strings I wanted in bulk.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I recently ordered a 1/2-dozen hybrid electrics from webstrings. To my ears and fingers, they are very similar to the EB or D'ad hybrid sets.

Little Brother did a review of their acoustic strings and found them to be as good as some of the name-brand sets.
http://www.epinions.com/content_104724139652

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I got my last lot from Strings & Beyond ( http://www.stringsandbeyond.com ). They even sell coffee!!
Friendly service and quick delivery.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

I guess my ear just hasn't matured or I'm not that picky, because the Webstrings sound fine to me. :)

We sound like we are making a commission or something! :)

Jason

Haha, yeah. Hey it's all a matter of personal preference I guess.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I recently ordered a 1/2-dozen hybrid electrics from webstrings. To my ears and fingers, they are very similar to the EB or D'ad hybrid sets.

Little Brother did a review of their acoustic strings and found them to be as good as some of the name-brand sets.
http://www.epinions.com/content_104724139652

That's a heck of a review! I've put several hours of play time into these strings so far and I like them. At this price point, I think I've found my strings. Well, I'll need to string up the LP and see how they sound with humbuckers, but I'm sure they'll sound fine. At that point I'll start ordering a lot of them. I also bought a set for the acoustic and will give them a try next change.

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I got my last lot from Strings & Beyond ( http://www.stringsandbeyond.com ). They even sell coffee!!
Friendly service and quick delivery.

A good coffee ensures a good guitaring :D

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Well I just ordered 10 sets, Ill give them a try. Normally I use elixers but for that price I am willing to experiment.

I plan to use Ricochet's olive oil coating method to give them feel of elixers.

Ill have to see if the customs man gets me. They often leave you alone on small orders.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Well I got the webstrings yesterday, 10 sets and 10 picks for 38 dollars CDN. I didn't pay any duties or taxes. Although if I was a little quicker on the draw I would have ordered 11 sets. They get cheaper after 10. If they sound good it is quite the discount.

I am going to try Ricochets suggestion and coat them in olive oil tonight.

Ricochet if your out there, you mentioned rubbing left over oil on the fretboard. Is there any risk of the oil becoming rancid over time? I think you spoke on this before but I don't recall your answer.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Note that a few minutes after I rub it on, I also rub it off. A molecular layer's all you want, not an oil slick. Done this way, it neither gets rancid nor sticky.

ReplyQuote
(@imiron)

Well I got the webstrings yesterday, 10 sets and 10 picks for 38 dollars CDN. I didn't pay any duties or taxes.
Thanks Max, it's good to know if and how they'd get up to Canada. Now I might give them a try. :)

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Well they sound about the same as other phosphor bronze strings. I doubt that I would be able to tell the difference bettween these and D'ddarrio's, which is what I used to use before switching to elixers.

I put on the olive oil Friday. I actually used a lot less than I thought. Basically dipped my index finger and thumb in and drew the a string through my fingers before installation.

I don't find the strings feel much different than with the oil, maybe a little slicker for the first day or so. They definitely don't feel lubed like elixers do. They may last a while longer than unlubed strings, ill let you know in about 3 weeks.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think you'll find that they do.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2