Clear all

Weird Amp Observation (or maybe not)

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sgt-pepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

For some reason or other, the farther away from my amp (blues junior) the louder the buzzing coming from amp. Now i use a strat, but i am pretty sure it is not the pickups making the noise for two reasons: 1. The buzzing stops when i am right on top of the amp, and 2. It is a new american deluxe strat which should have noiseless pickups (according to their claim).

So for all you guitar/amp techs, what seems to be the problem (with the amp, guitar, or both), or is this nothing more than a common occurrence with the listed equipment.

Thanks

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Tried using a new/different cable? And is your outlet grounded?

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

First of all, you are more likely to hear any buzz coming out of the amp's speaker when you are in front of it as opposed to "on top" (over?) it. This is due to the directionality of the speaker, which is more pronounced at higher frequencies.

Secondly, "noiseless" is a marketing term, and probably refers to having a stacked dual-coil structure, making the pups effectively a form of humbucker. These will resist magnetic field interference from motors, heaters, building wiring and, more importantly, the power transformer in your amplifier. But even humbuckers are not perfectly quiet and often come with metal covers to do the other half of the job. I am not sure if Fender's noiseless pups use any metallic shielding to fend off electric field interference. Probably not, as it would cause some high frequency roll-off, causing a loss of some of that Strat "airiness." If not shielded, they will still be vulnerable to interference from offenders such as flourescent lights, traditional TVs and CRT-type PC monitors and some digital entertainment devices. If you happen to be walking toward one of these electric field interferers, you could very well be experiencing an increase in pickup noise.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member

I bought a new amp and played it for months with this horrendous white noise buzz or static sound. I attributed it to static in the air. Every where I moved the noise would change or go away. Then one day I realized the between the light dimmer and tV in the room, I was in a terrible RF field of interference. So, I play with the lights off and the tv unplugged. Solved everthing. :D

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote
(@sgt-pepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yep it did end up being electronic interference (computer). Thanks for the help everyone.

ReplyQuote