well, i finally did it

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Well, I finally started to play along to a song on cd. I know it doesn't sound like much but i've always put it off because i never thought i could keep up to the guitarist on the cd, and it would be a waste of time if i could never play along.

Kinda silly, so I finally got the guns and roses version of knocking on heavens door, one of my favourites. The rythem part is pretty easy now, cause it's a song ive been strumming since i started. My goal, which i finally set, was to play the solos, so i got the tab out and practiced for a bit, turned on the cd and started with the first few notes. I can play along with the first solo on that song, so now i'm working on the second. I know it's not a blazing solo or anything but i just love the way slash uses the pentatonic scale and it doesn't sound like the scale. baby steps.

Talk about an awesome feeling, i should have done this a long time ago.

Cheers
Brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

Hey I just barely started doing this too. I pretty much started out with classical guitar so I'm just now working on my electric/rock stuff. I can do some of the rhythm parts for smashing pumpkins songs but the solos? No way! I tried the solo for Quiet. Ahhhhahahaha, not even close.

ReplyQuote
(@aroomadazda)

Get yourself a cheap tape recorder and record some rhythm tracks/chord progressions and then rewind it and play along with it, then you can hear how you sound and not how Slash sounds. A hand held dictation tape recorder works fine. Or you might try running down to Avenue Guitars and getting a multitrack recorder. Never too soon to start writing your own stuff.

Or better yet, find someone to jam with. That's when the hair on the back of your neck will stand up.

I never did mind about the little things

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member

I think Audacity is very helpful.
It has an effect that allows you to slow down a song and doesn't change the pitch. So you can play along at your pace. I use it a lot.
You can also change the pitch without changing the tempo, great for all those "half step down" songs.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I played 'Blackbird' by paul mcartney listening along to the mp3.David's lesson helped a lot.Sounded good too... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi all. I just started using some recording software for my laptop. it's great fun. it's been really helpful to hear myself play. now i can start to refine different points and try to improve the weak parts of the song.

I've been trying to find some people to jam with in edmonton but so far i haven't been very sucessfull, but just got to keep looking i suppose.

Cheers,
Brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I recorded an acoustic version of Creep last night while listening to the tune on the headphones to get the timing right. It was a lot of fun. :)

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

which "creep" radiohead of stp.........the stp song is way better

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote