Clear all

well i went to the lesson with my new teacher

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

lets just say i learned more in half an hour with him then i did with my old teacher in an hour

i learned the minor pentatonic all over the neck, blues all over the neck, and major pentatonic over the neck. plus some finger excerscises to get my fingers independant.

he gave me a packet to take home with the scales all written out so i can practice.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

i guess now its obvious that all you needed was a different teacher. Hopefully youll make alot more progress on guitar than ever before.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, maybe it's me being annoying again, but isn't that a bit too much? I mean, you sure won't be able to memorize multiple scales all over the neck in 30 minutes, so all he could have been doing is show you the scales and maybe print them. But couldn't you have done this yourself? The last thing I want is when my teachers start giving me a whole bunch of 'do this' which I could just as easily get from the internet.

Still, if you like it it must be what you need. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've heard your playing....followed the links on "Hear Here"..... and the first question that springs to my mind is why do you feel you need a teacher?

I know you do note-for-note covers of the classics....maybe you should use what you've learned from those, and start writing your own songs....

You're young, you've got talent, all you need is to diversify...if your teacher encourages you to do that, and you feel it's money well spent, then stick with him...

Whatever you decide, good luck....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Not to answer for him but I have kind of been asking myself this question about my lessons too. "Every thing that he teaches me is something I could have easily learned off the internet".

The answer is, atleast for me, that my instructor is my opportunity to play with another guitarist. This helps alot when seeing how things "fit" together.

I think if I get to the point that I am playing with friends on a regular basis then a teacher might not be as helpful.

Didnt mean to interupt.. but like I said.. I been asking myself this alot lately.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

yea well its not that easy for me to learn off the internet. a lot of the stuff i learn always has to come from a video lesson of some sort. i can't read it. cause if i read it i'm left with "wtf?"

i guess i just learn better if someone is there. unless its tabs for a song of some sort.

later when it gets to how to apply the scales to use in songs, thats something i can't read at all. idk if i have dislexia or what, i just can't read about something to learn it, someone has to show me.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i would also like to add, jason becker virtuoso at very young age around 16.

he took lessons from a jazz virtuoso named dave creamer.

jason said if he had never gotten ALS he would be still taking lessons from him.

so skill isnt an issue when taking lessons, your never too good too learn.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Congratulations on finding a good teacher.
Yes you can get information on the internet and in books, in fact I will go as far as saying there is nothing, information wise anyway, that any teacher can provide that you can't get by yourself.
Teachers put things in perspective, they evaluate where you are and structure your lessons to get you where you want to be. They can also follow your progress and adjust your lessons as needed. They can answer questions in real time and with hands on demonstration.
You can't get any of this from the internet or books.

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

sky

you are right, nothling like a great guitar teacher 8)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

A good teacher is something to be treasured. :)

They have things that the internet doesn't - like eyes and ears - and can pick up all manner of things that you're doing or not doing. They can also inspire you with their knowledge and attitude. Of course a bad teacher can be the exact opposite and can flatten you with dullness, picky attitude, lack of real communication skills, disinterest or whatever. :cry:

I started with a new teacher for the first time last week and it was a very encouraging start. I really enjoyed what he showed me, and how he did it. To my surprise, I did quite well myself as I felt relaxed and not embarrassed.

If you find a good teacher, chain them to the wall and never let them escape... whoops, I mean "keep the contact going".. :oops:

Now why I am sitting here at a keyboard instead of practising.... must be off.. the stuff he gave me is calling from downstairs... 8)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There's no information that I give my students that they couldn't find somewhere else - on the web, in a book, etc. for less (or no!) money. No huge secrets about guitar playing revealed. No pixie dust gets sprinkled.

So why do they come to me?

1. I can tell them what they're doing wrong, when they can't figure it out for themselves.

2. I can give them a progressive framework. There are about 8000 guitar books listed on Amazon, and more than a million guitar websites. That's a lot of stuff to go through to find a bargain.

3. I can explain things in different ways until they understand them

4. I can tailor drills and exercises to their needs

5. I can accompany them on duets, and adjust to their timing

6. I can transcribe the songs they want to learn, and correct the tabs they bring me

7. I can suggest musical genres, artists, and songs that they might enjoy learning

8. I can integrate other musical knowledge into lessons - reading, theory, counterpoint, ear training, etc.

9. I can demonstrate techniques at different speeds and viewing angles, or with exaggerated finger motions, so they can really see what's going on.

10. I can be a motivator and coach, ecouraging/goading as needed.

Most teachers do (or should do) all of those things. Our students think it's worth the money.

I would guess that the majority of guitarists do not pursue private lessons. I know the majority of professional guitarists have had private lessons. Sure, you can point to any of dozens of famous guitarists who learned on their own - but they are really a tiny minority of the pros (who are in turn a tiny minority of guitarists). People with serious aspirations on the guitar take lessons, because they get better faster - even if the same 'stuff' is available free in other places.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

And then you have stuff that although it MAY be on the internet, without a teacaher it would be really difficult. Jazz improvisation comes to mind.

Congrats on the new teacher Rich, hope it gets even better too.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote