Skip to content
What chords go well...

Notifications
Clear all

What chords go well with one another for melodic changes?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@pyrotkyc)
Topic starter  

Usually from verse/prechorus to chorus, when there is a melodic chord change. Does anyone know there guide for this?

I know the idea on circle of fifths from music theory (although I need to read up and study it)

An example is Fake my own death by Sum 41. During the verse, the guitar chords arent that melodic, then when the chorus hits, it's uber melodic with a 4 chord pattern.

Another example is Unholy Confessions by Avenged Sevenfold. In the prechorus there are guitars doing their riffs, which isnt melodic in itself. When the chorus hits it's really melodic, and that first chord in the chorus really sets the tone.

My question is, is there a guide or rule to know which chord goes well with non-melodic chords/riffs? Other than trying to figure every possible chord.

(@alangreen)

If your music theory is ok, then you'll understand how chords within a key fit together. Do drop in on the theory lessons on this site ("Theory Without Tears" - I think it's called - is a good starting point). The circle of 5ths is not so important here, chords I-vi-IV-V provide a standard doo-wop sequence that is used in a very high percentage of modern pop songs and you can always use substitute chords that are just one note different (Dm for F is a good example) to lead into a different feel.

However, there are no hard and fast rules. If your verse is in D then ramp it up and have your chorus in F or whatever sounds good at that point. You might need to smooth the transition from one key to another (use a diminished chord to make it quicker or go via a common chord or two) but so long as it sounds good then it'll work. I played in the musical "Back To The 80s" in the summer; the key change in "We are the world" (the US Aid for Africa song) is achieved simply by playing the tonic from the first key, then playing the chord one semitone higher and using that as the new key - almost stupidly simple.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote