Clear all

What do you think of this setup?

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@nick0512)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

As I mentioned in another topic, I'm thinking about getting a Fender Standard Strat MIM (black) with a maple fretboard as my first guitar. Does anyone have any experience with this guitar?

Also, I was thinking about pairing that up with the Vox Pathfinder 15R Amp with Reverb. Any comments/experience with this amp?

And I was also thinking about getting some sort of effects pedal later on like a Boss MegaDistortion or OverDrive pedal and was wondering what type of cables/other equipment I would need if I were to get a pedal and how it plugs into an amp.

Thanks in advance for any help/comments/whatever. 8)

I wanna be an elite guitarist. :)

(@shibby)
Estimable Member

I have a Fender MIM strat with a maple fret board. I love it, when I first looked at electric guitars I tried to stay away from Fender but after playing one I couldn't say no. The thing I like most about my Fender is its flexibility. It is real easy to get the sound out of it that I want. I feel that it is a excellent quality guitar for the price tag. I plan on keeping mine for as long as possible. But make sure you play it before you buy it, there might be something you don't like about it.

Shibby

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

About the Vox... it's a great little amp and it comes with tremelo too! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I bought a MIM Fender Strat about 9 months ago. I like it alot. Haven't had any problems and it is a versatile guitar. I don't think you can go wrong buying one.

I just recently bought a Jackson DK2 that was a couple hundred bucks more than the strat. I like that guitar too. I think I like all my guitars.

Seriously the Strat is a good guitar.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

That'll be a cool little setup there. Is that pathfinder the mini-stack? Had a go on one of those a little while back, and was really blown away for the price.

If you're a strat kinda guy, then an MIM strat is definitely one of the best deals around, very decent quality, at just a shade over entry level prices. I'd say you're on the right track with that.

For the pedal, #1 tip is just to try ALL the distortion boxes you can get your grubby little hands on, even if they're out of your price range, or they're ugly or whatever, you just need get your ears actively involved. Test them out one after the other, blind if possible, just have a salesman or a friend cycle through them while you play and listen to which ones give you the sounds you want.

If you don't try and get scientific about it and your mind works anything like mine, you'll probably pick the one with the prettiest box and the most buttons. :lol:

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Um.. I dont know what you mean by mini stack undercat.

I think he's talking about this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/481948/

It looks like an AC30.. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@deadhead420)

... and was wondering what type of cables/other equipment I would need if I were to get a pedal and how it plugs into an amp.

Nice and simple, plug your strat MIM (nice choice btw) into the input on the FX pedal, then run a cable from the output of the pedal into the input into the amp.

"Haha Duuude, you said crank... and then, you said shaft..." -The Great Philoshipher Zane.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

As I mentioned in another topic, I'm thinking about getting a Fender Standard Strat MIM (black) with a maple fretboard as my first guitar. Does anyone have any experience with this guitar?

Also, I was thinking about pairing that up with the Vox Pathfinder 15R Amp with Reverb. Any comments/experience with this amp?

From personal experience the Strat/Pathfinder combo works really well. Matter 'o fact, it's the exact combination I used in the pit orchestra when my daughter's school staged a musical at the Carpenter Center here in Richmond. The sound techs simply loved it to death!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Hmmm, I don't know about the distortion box right away. First of all, you are getting an amp that will sound really good without effects. Second, shouldn't you be learning to play the guitar first, and worrying about the effects second?
The other stuff, however, sounds great.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Can't go wrong with the strat :D with a good set up you will go along way with it. I don't know about the amp ,but from what i have read in reveiws ect. it sound sweet!!---the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Um.. I dont know what you mean by mini stack undercat.

Darn hard to find any information online about them, but harmony-central has reviews.

It's a 15 watt head sitting on a 4x8 cab, and it's one of the coolest sounds in the world. Suprisingly punchy and powerful, totally proving that it's not the wattage that counts but the speaker configuration.

The whole deal goes for $250, and as you might imagine, the ones at my local GC sold out overnight. I'm thinking about picking one up next time they get one in. Cheap thrills, and possibly the best first amp ever for someone.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

No, I think he's talking about the 1x8 15 watt combo, maybe I'm wrong, but I couldnt find anything on the Vox site.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote