Forum

Notifications
Clear all

What does your fretboard say about you?  

RSS

(@fluidguitar)
14/08/2018 9:07 am  

When I see that some people only seem to play in the a- or e-minor pentatonic, just from looking at their fretboard … I realized I could spice my improvisation up too (once in a while).

What about you? and How do you do it?

currently using this improvisation app and a Juan Hernandez Profesor from 2009

(@misterlutherman)
Eminent Member
21/08/2018 9:49 pm  

I like to play in the scale that suits my idea I'm working on at the time. I currently write a lot of stuff, and am learning Jazz soloing, so its a mixture of the aforementioned and choosing which scale will fit over a chord or series of chords. With the Jazz soloing its targeting chord tones though, so its not a scale I'm choosing per se, but basing my playing around a smaller selection of notes to fit in with the music, whilst playing around them for musical interest.

Tbh though, I've found when I create something from my head, I don't think about the scale, just the sound of the idea. However, I think that the idea I created was made possible because I know the scale well that the idea was based on, because I rarely create ideas that are not based on scales I don't already know.

Take it or leave it, the shadow is always there. Holding your hand. With a glass of ice cold lemonade in the other. Listening to reggae music. What more do you want?

ReplyQuote
(@oldstrummer)
Eminent Member
23/08/2018 1:24 am  

A lot of study has been done on the emotional responses evoked by different scales in music. Here's one:

http://biteyourownelbow.com/keychar.htm

Sometimes, I'll try to play something specifically emotive, and turn to keys that aren't in my "normal" scales. For example, I don't usually play in the key of F#, but there's something about an F#m that I really dig. And, strictly speaking, to me an E, A, D sequence doesn't sound the same as G, C, F, even though they're the same pattern.

Duke Ellington said it best: "If it sounds good, it IS good!"

ReplyQuote
(@misterlutherman)
Eminent Member
01/09/2018 1:25 pm  

Thats interesting. When I create songs and riffs from my head, they are in a specific key, so it makes sense that specific keys have different emotional effects, otherwise whats the point in different keys in the first place?

Do you people notice a difference in using different scales to invoke different emotions?

Take it or leave it, the shadow is always there. Holding your hand. With a glass of ice cold lemonade in the other. Listening to reggae music. What more do you want?

ReplyQuote

Are you on the list? Join for free

Never miss another Guitar Noise lesson again.