What Fx was used?

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

OK this is for you more seasoned players here (didn't want to say old)

For those of you that remember the band Humble Pie, I am trying to find out what effect was used on the guitar for the song "30 Days in the Hole"

My guitar teacher says tremelo. I have a cheap tremelo effect and it sounds close but I'm not sure.

You can here the song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W7g_C5zB0w

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Don't hear any Leslie-like phasing or doppler, so I agree with your teacher -- it sounds like straightforward tremolo (the real volume variation kind, not the misnamed-by-LeoFender-pitchshifting vibrola).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Txs gnease,

Do you have a tremolo? Any particular recommendation?

Wes,

If you read this I see Danelectro has a DJ-5 Tuna Melt Tremolo Pedal. Have you ever tried it? What to you think?

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Tremolo and maybe a touch of reverb is all that I hear. It's a combo you can do a lot with.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Txs gnease,

Do you have a tremolo? Any particular recommendation?

Wes,

If you read this I see Danelectro has a DJ-5 Tuna Melt Tremolo Pedal. Have you ever tried it? What to you think?

Only built into one of my amps (Cube 30). I very rarely use it, but happened to do so at this past weekend's Riverside Jam on Nick's tune One by One. Celt posted a Youtube vid of that performance. You can hear the effect on my stab chords at the end of each chorus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekF5E_wj4s

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Wow! Looks like a reunion of the Travelling Wilburys! :lol:

Where exactly did this take place, and who is present? Is that David Hodge on acoustic?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Wow! Looks like a reunion of the Travelling Wilburys! :lol:

Where exactly did this take place, and who is present? Is that David Hodge on acoustic?

Yeah -- pretty much. It was last Friday in Great Barrington, MA.

L-to-R:

David Hodge - Guitar/Vocal
Joel Schick - Harmonica/vocal
Helena Bouchez -Bass
Nick Torres- Guitar/Vocal
Anne O'Neil - Percussion
Jeff Brownstein - Guitar
Greg Nease - Guitar
Karen Berger - Piano (off camera)

The tune clearly doesn't need four guitars, but we've known each other a long time, and manage a lot of on-the-fly arranging without too much stepping on egos.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I hear a tremelo and either a Tubescreamer or a Les Paul with a Marshall.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Chris

Yep, that's Tremelo. The Danelectro Tuna Melt Tremelo is good for getting classic 50's-60's style Tremelo like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh2KPOLz7CQ

Crimson and Clover, one of the best examples of tremelo ever, even the vocals have this effect at the end of the song.

Another great example is Love Hurts by Nazareth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrSs7gfLDjc

You get this using the soft setting with both dials around 3:00 position. Classic tremelo.

It also has a hard feature, but I don't really care for it. The classic tremelo is very good though.

Tremelo pedals are kinda a one trick pony. They sound good on that occasional song that requires tremelo like Run Through the Jungle, but you can't use it on every song. Tremelo makes a pretty good substitute for Rotary Speaker like the bridge on Badge by Cream. Similar effect.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

OK this is for you more seasoned players here (didn't want to say old)

Also, while we're at it sirrah, I'm a fat OLD fart with a gimpy shoulder and tend to be terribly flatulent when I get excited.

Remember that well. I'm PROUD OF IT. I can blow just about any young whippersnapper off the stage at will.

One way or another . . .

Moonrider aka "Sweet Potato" James

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Tremelo makes a pretty good substitute for Rotary Speaker like the bridge on Badge by Cream. Similar effect.

Wes

I'm gonna tweak your GAS, Wes. Check out the Marshall Regenerator pedal. The Univibe setting just nails that particular sound.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Moonrider

I did try that pedal. One day I went into my local music store and they had a display with all the new Marshall pedals. I was interested in the Guv'nor (which I bought that day), but I also tried out the others. I was very impressed with all of them, especially the compressor, digital reverb (probably the best pedal reverb I've ever heard) and the Regenerator.

So, I agree, the Regenerator is very good. :D

That is chorus and phaser, the Vibratrem is Marshall's tremelo pedal.

Marshall Vibratrem

Does sound very good too.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

One of those songs I'd forgotten about - been a long time since I'd heard it! There's a line in that song that's perfect for me.....

"Newcastle Brown can sure smack you down......"

Yep, that's ME!

Thanks for the memory jog, Chris!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Vic,

I figured you'd heard that before. I loved Humble Pie back in the day and always wanted to play this song. Now I just have to go buy that Tremolo pedal for that Humble Pie sound.

ReplyQuote