Clear all

What is a pinch harmonic?

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

What is pinch harmonic, and I can I use it for blues?

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

After you strike "said" note, you touch the string with your finger to create an artificial harmonic.

It's used amongst heavier players with distortion, but who's to say you can't do it.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

The most audible harmonics are the ones at your 12th, 7th and 5th frets. There are more but I cant personally hear them unless I turn my gain and volume way up.

Can you use them in blues? Maybe in really heavy power-blues with lots of distortion but thats pretty much rock isnt it...I dont really know of any blues players that use harmonics in their playing.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

What is pinch harmonic, and I can I use it for blues?Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top plays Texas Blues, and he uses pinch harmonics. I think he calls 'em "buzzies." 8)

Good explanation, Mike.

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Will this produce a scream or wail from the guitar.

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Will this produce a scream or wail from the guitar.

Only if you pinch to hard! OWWW! 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

"Will this produce a scream or wail from the guitar."

I suspect you are referring to "artificial harmonics" and not pinch harmonics.

"How do I produce artificial harmonics on my guitar?
By David Hodge
February 15, 2003

If you grip the tip of your pick so that when you strike the string it catches your thumb, you will hear a harmonic generated over the initial note. This is a common technique for lead guitarists and while it sounds great on an electric guitar you can also do this on an acoustic. It simply takes a little more practice. "

http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/LJ_R1/LJ15c.html

Click on the quick time icon to watch the video. Peter vogl shows artificial harmonics after the scrape.

Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

"Artificial harmonics" are just harmonics created on fretted notes, as opposed to 'natural' harmonics, which are harmonics on open strings.

There are a number of ways to get them - pinch harmonics is one way. I think what Vic is referring to as artificial harmonics is 'touch harmonics' or 'Lenny Breau harmonics' - two different names for the same technique, where you extend your index finger to touch the harmonic node whlie picking the string.

There are also tap harmonics, drum harmonics, etc - all of which are just different ways to get artificial (and in some cases, natural) harmonics.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote