40 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I've got one, and I like it.

But I got together with a friend last night, and he'd forgotten his capo, so he couldn't play a lot of songs he said he wanted to.

I offered him mine, and he was like "so what will you do?"

They weren't songs I knew, but nothing too hard; when he showed me how they went, I just sort of found different fingerings for the same (or similar) chords, and played along. He looked at me like I was doing some sort of witchcraft.

And I started watching him play- he seems to use the capo a lot. As a matter of fact, he seems to use the very same chord shapes in most songs, and to change keys by moving the capo around.

Now, this guy can play a lot more songs than I can, and is a heck of a singer. He's undoubtedly a talented musician, and we had a great time.

But it seems to me like he's using the capo as a crutch, and it's getting in the way of developing a lot of other important skills. What say you?

Best,
Ande

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I don't use one, thats what my index finger is for but .......... I play mostly electric and see myself as more of a guitarist than singer. If you play acoustic guitar (hard to barre strings) and need to play in a key you can sing in (like a real singer) the capo allows you to play the open chords and take advantage of "open" strings while you sing and play in a key that suits your voice or the particular song you are playing. When I think capo I think acoustic guitar, ballads and someone with a nice voice. (None of those are me :mrgreen: )

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

My capo is to clip onto the headstock, to make me look like everyone else? :lol:

I agree with you, but it works both ways. Sometimes, you can use a capo to be creative, when you play along with other people, who are using the open position.

So, if you know your stuff and are creative (I have seen a guy who is wonderful at this) - they do NOT use a capo; and you may use a capo to create different voicings and sounds with some of the notes of the chord in a different octave? :shock:

Now if you're planning on playing any Michael Penn and want to take the easy way, umm... there's where a capo is handy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pmTruFmrAU&feature=related

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well it might make sense if he's a singer to be able to change keys quickly to find the right range for his voice. Just a guess.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It sounds like he is using it so he doesn't need to learn new chords or patterns, but guitar is a lot like golf, no one asks how, just how many.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

This:
the capo allows you to play the open chords and take advantage of "open" strings while you sing and play in a key that suits your voice or the particular song you are playing.

+1, also for cnev's comment - let's you play in the range of your voice.

Regarding open chord voicings, take a look at David's lesson on the Melissa, at the end of this article (hasn't yet been removed by the copyright gestapo!):
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/double-your-pleasure/

I use those open ringing chord voicings every chance I get when I play acoustic at church, even on a 6-string. Adds a richness to the sound that is missing with barre chords. If the song I'm playing is in E, no problem. But if it's in F? Well, capo on 1 and play the open chords in E. Song's in G? Capo on 3, play it open in E. Of course you have to transpose, but it's worth the effort to me. So, that's what "my" capo is for. 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Sometimes it's just easier to play, for instance, G/Em/C and D than it is to play Ab/Fm/Db and Eb....to play the latter, you'd capo at the first fret and play the first set of chords. That's generally the reason most people use a capo!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

Well I can say I use my capo for all the reasons given above. I like to sing along to a lot of songs, and I sing terrible in my low range. I'll stick it on to raise the pitch to a level where the lowest note I have to sing can be sung without my voice cracking.

Sometimes I do it to brighten up a song, Bob Marleys - Three Little Birds sounds better higher up the freboard for instance.

Sometimes I do it when fingerpicking a fast song so the open strings dont ring as much (I'm prone to overpicking when getting tense! TWANGGGG!). I feel they sound more like fretted notes. sometimes I do it just for a change when playing the same song over and over.

Sometimes I'll use it to raise the pitch of a song to match a backing track or whatever, without tuning my guitar differently.

Mainly though, it helps me play in other keys without relearning it. This is definitely a shortcut and crutch that I'll have to get rid of.

I play mainly acoustic at the moment but I played for a year and a half on electric prior to that.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Steve Earle once said, "The only key I know is 'G'." :lol:

He has written some really beautiful, nuanced guitar melodies, full of slash chords, etc., but they're basically built off G, C and D open forms and then capoed accordingly.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

I hardly ever use a capo. When I do, it's for singing. If I'm only strumming chords and singing, I just transpose. But sometimes I play a fingerstyle arrangement and alternate with singing while playing a simplified fingerstyle version. Using a capo is a lot easier than transposing for that.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Another thing you can use a capo for - stick it on the 12th fret of an electric guitar, and play the same chords the rhythm guitarist is playing....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I never use a capo.....& unfortunately, I feel it's something I should learn to play comfortable with.

example....Scarborough Fair....7th fret.....that's the only one for me......Alice's Restaurant was originally in the key of Eb.....but I think he changed it & I don't play it anymore, so it doesn't matter.

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I bought a capo once to adjust the height of the bridge (or something like that) as directed by an old guitar manual. I forget the details. It involved putting a capo on the first fret and measuring the height of the strings at the 12th fret with a metal ruler. It's the only time it's ever been used. It didn't seem to make much difference so I never tried it again (which is why I don't remember the details).

I don't like them because putting the capo on and then fretting a string on top of that makes the note a little sharp. I know people who argue that point, but tune your guitar, adjust the intonation of the bridge, put a capo on, and play a note above the capo with your finger. Look at the guitar tuner, it will be sharp.

Of course, whether it is too sharp is up to you.

I started playing guitar by playing barre chords, so I never had a need to use one. In fact, I prefer not to play those open string chords, and only do so when the music requires those chords. Fortunately, most of the music I play works better with barre chords so I can control the amount of sustain with my left hand.

But there is more than one right way to play music. I don't want to dis a capo user, it's just not for me.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Notes, it sounds like your guitars need some attention. If you're sharp when fretting over a capo, it stands to reason you'll be sharp when fretting over barre chords.

Myself, I use capos on acoustic guitar all the time, but rarely on electric. With two acoustic guitars, or acoustic guitar and mandolin, the capo allows arrangements that take advantage of open-string harmonics and interesting combinations of chord voicings. It makes the sound livelier.

On electric guitar, I used a capo once to overdub a rhythm part on a densely layered track. It saved time and money and got the job done, which I think is the point.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1 on Notes' guitar, capo or capo use requiring some modification/adjustment.

I've never needed a capo to help me play a chord, but … it is a great voicing tool, and partial capoing creates instant alt tunings.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3