Clear all

What song are you learning right now?

71 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
10.1 K Views
(@snwbrdnegtrst)
Trusted Member

Still (always?) polishing 'Runaway Train' by Soul Asylum and David's version of Cash's version of 'Hurt'. Both are great stand-bys that I can break out if someone is over and wants to hear me play something... I just started trying to figure out 'Your Decision' by Alice in Chains, I was inspired by the solo piece in the 'Hear Here' section. The solo is kinda outta reach for me at the moment but I'll get there eventually!

All the world's a stage, but the play is poorly cast

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey I just learned Runaway Train the other day too. Cool song, pretty much a strummy song which I don't do much of. I could use an acoustic for it since I only have electrics..

Also learned Are you gonna go my way and Vertigo.

Got to play Are you gonna go my way at a pig-roast party yesterday that was kind of fun.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

Currently im trying to get round 'dreamers ball' by queen and '2 minutes to midnight' by Iron maiden. Oh, and 'time in a bottle' by Jim Croce, though having seen the movie 'hangover 2' I cannot quite look at that song in the same light again....... :lol:

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

ReplyQuote
(@wordy76)

trying to learn 'The Needle and the Damage Done' (Neil Young), 'Norweigan Wood', and 'Here Comes the Sun' (The Beatles), in a kind of mixed strummy/picky chord melody kind of way. Its towards the limits of my ability at the moment - been playing for a couple of years. Usually find that around couple of hours into the practice session when everything is working well, I can get pretty close to them, in time, and with the metronome going.

Also doing a bit of fingerpicking, which I've surprisingly got into. Trying to play the intro's from 'Nothing Else Matters' (Metallica), Under the bridge (RHCP), and More Than Words (Extreme). Its a similar story with these, I'm getting close, but its right at the limits of what I can do.

In the early days I spent a lot of time just trying to strum songs which I liked, which is fine but in hindsight I was unambitious - but now I've started to try more challenging pieces, and its paying dividends. As a result of course I'm now also better at the easier stuff too.

and if you have five seconds to spare. Then I'll tell you the story of my life...

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I am relearning Mike & the Mechanic's/Paul Carrack's "Looking Over My Shoulder", I really would like to share this video of Paul and (Gibson) guitar because of all the videos on the topic, it shows best what a soloist can do, no band! He doesn't sing as well as he can, but really works the guitar. My style personally, is to beat the crap out of it, and get all it's worth! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMewjkKHNM0

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

trying to learn 'The Needle and the Damage Done' (Neil Young), 'Norweigan Wood', and 'Here Comes the Sun' (The Beatles), in a kind of mixed strummy/picky chord melody kind of way. Its towards the limits of my ability at the moment - been playing for a couple of years. Usually find that around couple of hours into the practice session when everything is working well, I can get pretty close to them, in time, and with the metronome going.

Also doing a bit of fingerpicking, which I've surprisingly got into. Trying to play the intro's from 'Nothing Else Matters' (Metallica), Under the bridge (RHCP), and More Than Words (Extreme). Its a similar story with these, I'm getting close, but its right at the limits of what I can do.

In the early days I spent a lot of time just trying to strum songs which I liked, which is fine but in hindsight I was unambitious - but now I've started to try more challenging pieces, and its paying dividends. As a result of course I'm now also better at the easier stuff too.

can do (I am told) a passable norwegian wood and here comes the sun. Have done more than words in the past. The trick the way I do norwegian wood is to have an educated pinky finger for the descending scale over the chords (playing in E but capo at 2nd fret and Starting on a D shape chord). Vic Lewis reckoned it was ok...... Im not a good fingerpicker but like a bit of flatpicking

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

ReplyQuote
(@wordy76)

The trick the way I do norwegian wood is to have an educated pinky finger for the descending scale over the chords (playing in E but capo at 2nd fret and Starting on a D shape chord).

Hmmm, interesting. I'm on a bit of an enforced couple of weeks break from playing whilst I move flat, so I dont have the guitar or music here, but I think certainly the version I was learning, like yours was capoed and started with the D shape, then I think I was picking out the melody on the A & G string, kind of starting the chord strum from those strings when necessary, and then going, I think to maybe a Cadd9 or something, and finishing the melody, maybe on the A and G strings if memory serves.

I'm interested when you say you play the 'descending scale' over the chords, what exactly do you mean?

and if you have five seconds to spare. Then I'll tell you the story of my life...

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Sorry to cut in. Here's a good lesson, though it is different than how I play it, I invented my own chords which follow the melody within each chord, note for note, but I agree that this would be correct, and John Lennon appeared to use a capo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ebJojBYiNg to the capo sound and mistakes :wink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkcRZSdc8us&feature=fvwrel

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@wordy76)

Sorry to cut in. Here's a good lesson

Yep, thats the way I was attemping to play it.... learnt from somebody elses lesson on youtube.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

OK new update:

New songs: Dear Rosemary - Foo Fighters (I'm really liking this one)
Fire - Hendrix ( I can or muddled my way through it in the past but finally learned the real song)
Soul Man - Not really my cup of tea but I had this in a Hal Leonard book of soul songs and was
bored so I learned it. Might be cool to play if I had some horns etc to fill it out

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I added one to my learning list. ZZ Topp's 'Waiting on the Bus". It's a lot more riff based than I am used to playing.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I'm trying to learn a Celtic tune, "Sligo Creek" by Al Petteway........of course I have his DVD.....my pinky is givin' me trouble....

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I worked on Waiting for the bus a couple years ago and we never played it. The guys have been bringing it up lately maybe it's time to brush it off.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I worked on Waiting for the bus a couple years ago and we never played it. The guys have been bringing it up lately maybe it's time to brush it off.
It kind of goes hand-in-hand with "Jesus Just Left Chicago" from their debut album. I think they do it like that in concerts, too. That's pretty much why I decided to work on it. I knew the latter, but not "Waiting For The Bus". I did break down and buy a decent ZZ Topp song Book, so that and my Guitar Pro software's got me on the right track.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

I'm working on 'Me and Julio' - hardest part is getting the chorus bits, because there's a descending bit with a few chords, and some strumming...in between. Hand cramps abound, and it's exhausting to play more than twice at a time. :D

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5