Clear all

What the.....buzz?

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was playing #41 by Dave Matthews Band (regardless if you know the song or not) and I heard this really odd buzzing so I isolated the strings and cannot figure out what's doing this.

When I fret the low E at 7 and G at 7, I get this horrible buzz. It only hapens when those two strings are fretted at the same time. I play the low E, then the G and get the buzz, if I take my finger off the E, the buzz disappears.

Any ideas or is my guitar haunted?

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

maybe your guitar is revolting because you are playing DMB :wink:
j/k
could be one of several things,
if i understand this you say it only buzzes when you fret both strings, and does not buzz if either are fretted independantly?
if it's an electric it could be some loose hardware somewhere, if its an acoustic it could be a tuner.
can you experiment by having someone else play it so that you may be able to locate the sourse of the buzz?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

When I fret the low E at 7 and G at 7,

Did you try it again at 8 o'clock? :lol:

Sounds like an intonation problem maybe?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Since it is in the middle of the neck it sounds to me like "neck relief" - Not to be confused with string height (Action). If it is not neck relief then it is probably action.

The outside possibility is a high fret wire but not likely.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

But you can play each string individually at the seventh fret with no problem? Can you play higher up the neck without the buzzing? Does it make a difference if you play softer or harder? From what I understand so far, it sounds like your strings are vibrating at the right frequency to rattle something on the guitar.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Having some other people listen to it, its the G string buzzing. It buzzes when the E is fretted at 7 or 8, but no other frets. Action is equal. Played individually they don't buzz. When I strum with my fingers, it doesn't happen, only with a pick.

That's about as specific as I can get here :?

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

my /guess/ would be is you might be playing louder with a pick so that's why it's not vibrating with finger picking. Put your head really close to your headstock and listening for a rattling tuner if not it must just be the frequency of the notes casuing something random to rattle or buzz.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Here's a site that might help:

FRETS.com's buzz diagnosis page.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I picked it up today to see if the buzz was still there, and it's gone. Now Im just mysitified. I know it was there because the rest of my band and my girlfriend heard it, but now it's not doing it, no matter how hard I play the string. Im confused.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Maybe you were right about the guitar's being haunted.

Did you recently change strings? Maybe you had a string that hadn't quite settled in yet?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Maybe you were right about the guitar's being haunted.

Did you recently change strings? Maybe you had a string that hadn't quite settled in yet?

Nope, strings have been on about 2 weeks (Elixirs). They've all settled.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I picked it up today to see if the buzz was still there, and it's gone. Now Im just mysitified. I know it was there because the rest of my band and my girlfriend heard it, but now it's not doing it, no matter how hard I play the string. Im confused.
Don't be confused since this will happen if the setup is real close to the low side. Think about environmentals like did it rain yesterday? is it dry today? did the AC run a lot? etc. Anyone of these can change the shape of the neck and raise or lower the middle a little and in some cases enough to make it buzz.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote