Clear all

What the heck did I just buy?

31 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

What the heck, I had $200 to burn anyway. Good seller with lots of positive feedback who seems as confused as I am about the origin of the guitar.

This is snipped from the Ebay description:

"This steel string cutaway acoustic guitar is a mystery as to age and origin, but it is readily apparent it is no cheapo. The top is a beautiful tight grained solid Spruce, with what appears to be laminated Rosewood back and sides. (I don't know about that, I'll have to look when it arrives. The internal soundhole pic and the back grain run similarly.)

The back and end block purfling looks to be herringbone, and the top and sound hole are dressed in Abalone - nice inlay of the headstock and fret markers and bound fingerboard.

The unique thing about this guitar is the sound ports which may contribute to this guitars excellent volume and crisp tone. The neck is straight, action is low and there is no buzzing. It has a pin-less bridge, much like on an Ovation."

I did searches galore on just about every combination of features to no avail.

It doesn't look like a one time beginning luthier thing, too fancy. It could be a Hong Kong import. I don't know. It looked cool and the price was right. I'll let my students play it when they need a guitar.

(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I have no idea what it is, but its the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen in my life. Congratulations.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Once it arrives, let us know how it sounds. It does clearly look pretty cool.
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

yeah keep us posted

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Wow... those side soundhole thingy's really make it stand out. Congrats dude! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Looks a real bargain there, Nick....if it sounds as good as it looks, well....!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Maybe a bargain, but probably about right price wise if it's a cheap import ala saga, samick or whoever.

Has anyone seen similar fretboard inlays, or a bridge that looks the same, or even soundports like that?

I'll have to get out the inspection mirror when I get it and check of writing on the inside.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Certainly looks like rosewood on the back and sides. The top could be spruce or cedar - no idea.

The binding round the soundhole and body looks like abalone. Indieguitars are using it on their Tribal electric.

Looks a nice bit of kit, anyway.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

As the seller said, the bridge is Ovation style. http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=series&sid=39

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I've seen those snowflake fret markers before... I'm scratching my head trying to remember where.

I've also seen side soundports, but not that shape.

I'll be curious to know, when you get it, if there's a stamping on the inside of the headblock.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The fretboard looks very Blueridge, this pic is a BR160

Then again that is exactly the same as the Crafter neck and the headstock shape is the same as Crafter. I can't find a pinless model though.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

have you got it yet?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Nick you need some serious therapy!!! Hope this one pans out. 8) 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I don't know. It looks like they did a nice job on the bracing. The rosette is a surprise. Other than the nut, the hardware looks pretty decent. Those don't look like el cheapo tuners. SPT could be initials. At first glance it looks like a Larivee but then there's that headstock.(which looks a little gaudy to me.) Kaman(ovation) is a Korean make. Could be a Kaman offshoot. Could be the guy who sold it to you didn't know what he was holding on to. One would hope. Looks like a bit of a treasure.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

They are made by Aria, here's a link to a couple of them http://www.ksmusic.co.uk/electro_acoustic_guitars.htm they are Black about 1/2 way down the page

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3