Clear all

What's the key?

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm learning a song with the progression G Em F C It bounces around between these chords with one A# towards the end. The style is bluegrassy/jamband. What scale in which key should I use? It would have to be pretty high(or do I mean low?) on the fretboard to mimic the mandolin part. Is there such a thing as a country/bluegrass scale?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I don't know much about country bluegrass scales, but it sounds like it would be either in G of F, especially with the Bb. I play some power chord progressions which use a lot of I-IV-bIII-I (ie G5-C5-Bb5-G5), which would work here.

G A Bb C D E F

Based on the notes you are using, it looks like it should be in F, but w/o thirds it could be in G...

Can you post a clip?

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Bluegrass songs are almost always in a G key. (Having said that, I made the exact same statement to a student a couple of months ago, then put on a random track from a Flatt & Scruggs CD to show him - and the tune that came up wasn't in G!)

The reason G is so common has to do with bluegrass instrumentation - it's traditionally banjo, mandolin, guitar, fiddle, and bass - the format of Bill Monroe's "Blue Grass Boys" band, from which the style gets its name. Ever look at a 5 string banjo? There's one short string - the high G string (on a guitar it'd be in the A string position). That string is rarely fretted, so G is the most comfortable key for the banjo.

The most common bluegrass progressions are:

G-C-D-G (I-IV-V-I)
G-Em-C-D-G (I-iii-IV-V-I)
G-F-C-G (I-bVII-IV-I)
G-Bb-F-G (I-bIII-bVII-I)

Those last two have a more modal sound - traditional in some 'mountain music'. Think of it as G Mixolydian, and G minor Mixolydian if you'd like.

Bluegrass is mostly based on the major scale, but there's a lot of chromatic runs used in it... look at the quintessential bluegrass riff:

-----------------
-----------------
---------------0-
---------0h2p0---
---0h1h2---------
-3---------------

All G scale notes... except for the 2-b3-3 chromatic run.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

It would have to be pretty high(or do I mean low?) on the fretboard to mimic the mandolin part.

Something recently learned: whenver your speaking of high/low, always speak of pitch, rather than physical placement in relation to something. So in this case, yes you mean "high", as a mando is higher pitched.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would start with scales in the key of G. With many other things to take into consideration, it comes to what you want to create when your playing. Here's a couple things that will give you kind of country rock sound. This first one shown here in G can be played three frets lower. Insteadde of playing it on the 3rd or 15 fret, drop it down three frets and play it open or 12th fret.

E|---|---|--®|---|---|--®|---|
B|---|---|--®|---|---|--®|---|
G|---|---|--®|---|--®|---|---|
D|---|---|--®|---|--®|---|---|
A|---|---|--®|---|--®|---|---|
E|---|---|--®|---|---|--®|---|

Here's an acsending run. when you include the slides were the -> are you'll hear that style. I'm trying to expalin.

E|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|--®|---|---®|---|--®|--®|
B|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|--®|---|--®|->>|->>®|---|---|---|
G|---|---|---|---|---|---|--®|---|--®|---|---|----|---|---|---|
D|---|---|---|---|--®|---|--®|->>|->®|---|---|----|---|---|---|
A|---|---|---|---|--®|---|--®|---|---|---|---|----|---|---|---|
E|---|---|--®|---|--®|->>|->®|---|---|---|---|----|---|---|---|

Have Fun

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys I'll give it a try! 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Joe, am I right in assuming that playing that scale run open or on the 12th fret puts it in E? why would it be okay to play that if it's in a different key?Is E the relative minor of G?

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

What Joe showed was the minor pentatonic in G (G-Bb-C-D-F-G). If you move it down three frets, it becomes the E minor pentatonic, which is the same notes as the G major pentatonic (G-A-B-D-E-G)

The major pentatonic works better for country, bluegrass, etc. - the minor works better for blues, most rock, and so on.

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

The most common bluegrass progressions are:

G-Em-C-D-G (I-iii-IV-V-I)

Isn't this I vi IV V I ?? Just wanted to make sure I caught this correctly.

G Am Bm C D Em Fdim
I ii iii IV V vi vii

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yep - my typo.

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

Yep - my typo.

That's good to know (the typo) because I was starting to worry that all my learning was wrong :D

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

As Notebeat said country, folk, bluegrass styles commonly use major pentatonics, while Rock and blues use minor pentatonics.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Cool, this has been a really helpful read. :D

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote