Notifications
Clear all

What's wrong with my Qwik Tuner?

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@kirokki)
Topic starter  

Hi. I'm hoping someone here can help me understand why my brand new Quik Tune tuner doesn't seem to be working. Whenever I try to use it to tune my acoustic guitar, it never works. Nothing ever appears on the screen; no needle- nothing. I follow the instructions completely- I make sure there are no noises in the background, I hold it at least 4-8 inches away from the soundhole.
It's really frustrating because I just started trying to learn guitar, and I can't learn anything if my guitar isn't in tune. I've tried tuning it to my keyboard and tuning it by ear (didn't work). Is something wrong with my tuner, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

Sounds like it's not switched on. Even when there is no sound to tune, you should be able to see a "dial" and a needle at some sort of resting point. Many tuners also have a couple of LEDs to give a rough idea of where your tuning stands - does the Qwik-Tune have LEDs and are they lighting up?

You can also try to elicit some kind of response by tapping the housing and whistling directly into the microphone.

ReplyQuote
(@abbottcl)

Do you have a battery in it? Is the battery still good? If it's an acoustic-electric, is there a good battery in it?

Or you may have just gotten a bad tuner. It happens.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Some tuners just do not pick up sound very well. Try laying your guitar flat on its back on the bed or some soft surface. Support the neck with a pillow and allow the headstock to extend so you can tune it. You can also do this on your lap. Place the tuner right on top of the guitar. Pluck one string at a time. It helps to pluck a string about once per second in a steady rhythm. Do not pluck the strings hard though.

I used to have this certain tuner that this is the only way it would work well. But it did work well this way. It picked up the vibrations from the guitar's body.

Worth a try.

Edited- I also forgot to mention. If your guitar is WAY out of tune the tuner may not respond. You are simply out of the tuner's range. If you know a song in a certain key like E, try tuning by ear first. Just get close. Then try the tuner.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The Qwik Tune models I've seen have an on/off button - the farthest one to the right, I believe. Press it once, you'll see a needle displayed at the far left of the window - press it again, the needle disappears and the tuner is off. If you don't see the needle, check the battery.

The Qwik Tune microphones seem vary in sensitivity - I've used one that I had to get within a couple inches of... and another that picked up sounds from across the room. If you have a pickup, plug into the 'in' jack (usually the bottom one - they're labeled) for better results.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I have one of these. Press the purple button to turn it on, the needle should appear on the LED screen at the far left. Try checking to make sure the batteries are in the right way, if they are try a new set. How long have you had it? Batteries shouldn't be too much of an issue, and the thing turns its self off if you leave it and aren't using it. If new batteries don't fix it it's probably the mic and you should replace it.

I seem to have gotten one that can hear across the room. I've left it on a few times and when I look across my room at it I see it picking up my notes and chords.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@kirokki)
Topic starter  

Thanks to everyone for their help and responses, I really appreciate it.
Wes- When I was trying to use my Quik Tuner before and it wasn't working, my guitar was lying on my bed.
Metaellihead- I've had the tuner for maybe 3 months now, but I haven't used it much because whenever I tried to use it, it didn't work. I don't think the batteries are the problem because I never had the tuner out for a very long time while trying to get it to work. I don't know what the problem is. Guess I'll just have to get a new tuner.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Kirokki

Got me curious now.

A couple of questions that are basically repeats from the others that replied:

1 - Has it EVER worked?

2 - Are you getting a pointer or anything when you turn it on?

3 - Are the batteries in correct direction?

4 - Have you tried new batteries?

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@kirokki)
Topic starter  

Kirokki

Got me curious now.

A couple of questions that are basically repeats from the others that replied:

1 - Has it EVER worked?

2 - Are you getting a pointer or anything when you turn it on?

3 - Are the batteries in correct direction?

4 - Have you tried new batteries?

No, the tuner hasn't ever worked, not one time. Nothing at all appears on the screen when I turn it on. I really don't think there's any problem with the batteries. They haven't ever been used enough to wear down, but I'll probably buy some new ones soon anyway, just to see if they'll work. Like I said before, I'll probably end up getting a new tuner.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I have one and it is great.

Make sure the batt's snap in snug. Sometimes you have to bend the prongs out a little to make the batt's snap in for a good connection. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've found new batteries right out of the pack that were no good.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Kirrokki

What I was saying is to actually place the tuner ON the guitar.

But it sounds to me as if your tuner is defective. See if you can take it back and get an exchange. Test the new one before you leave the shop.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote