Clear all

When Jamming With Others

16 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

What do you guys do? Or how do you work out some stuff to do?

Reason I ask that I found a buddy to jam with again. I went over to his place last night for the first jam and we goofed around for several hours. It was more just figuring out what level we are at and stuff like that I guess. It was fun though. He's really into putting tracks together on the PC. He'll record riffs, rhythm, bass, etc. and edit, loop it, etc and make some really cool sounding stuff.

When I left we did agree that I'm going to find a four chord rhythm and next time he'll try to come up with some lead stuff to go over it. Works for me since he's a better player.

Anyway, just trying to get some ideas. My main goal is to improve my timing while playing with someone else as well as working on figuring out and playing in the proper key. That and having fun while getting over my shyness playing in front of other people. :oops:

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

(@telemarker)
Trusted Member

I like to have songs to play with other people... endless jams on three chords get boring real fast. You could see what songs you both already know and start with those, then try teaching each other a few songs. I'd much rather play a song where we actually sing the lyrics, maybe have a couple of verses each for soloing, and then the song ends and we play a different song.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I mentioned playing some easy songs, but he's more into writing his own stuff. So am I, so that works for me. I guess it's just that neither of us are all that use to play with others, so it'll be a slight learning curve until we get comfortable around each other.

I've known him for several years, so at least he's a buddy of mine. It might even turn out that we have differing styles and it won't work. I dunno.

Jason

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Crank,

I've had some problems jamming with others it's not easy sometimes. The usual problem has been that usually we don't know the same songs and like mentioned before 4 chord jams get old real quick.

Tonight I am going over some guy that I work with house to jam some guys, but he has been playing acoustic for years and likes a certain type of acoustic rock which for the most part doesn't float my boat and I don't know how to play most of the songs. He does use an overhead projector to put the lyris and music up on the wall so everyone can see while they play and that helps me with some of the songs, the rest I just try and add some fills here and there and an occaisional improved solo, most of which don't sound that good, but I figure even though I don't kno wmany of the songs it can't hurt to play with others.

Now I have another friend who's been taking bass lessons for a little over a year and I try to jam with him but he knows none of the songs I know and I know none of the soings he knows and that has been a bit of a struggle.

I could use some advice myself.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

jamming is an incredible way to improve one's playing.
at first , as you experienced, there are awkward moments; fnding what cabn be played.

jamming on a cover helps break the ice. make a rule that a cover is done differently, not a clone.

another fun thing is to create loops or use heavy delay. it helps add fill when only two players are at it.

when I jam with my best buddy (for over twenty plus years now) we take turns laying down a steady or interesting
rythm. the other person takes the leads. switching back and forth without stopping helps make connections with the other player. build from that.
have fun. jamming is awesome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@muddy)
Trusted Member

well just to put in my cents...Play whatever whenever ..you will learn if u play songs you like or not.. U must look at the songs differently.. look at the music look at the lyrics.. they should be played as you see fit.. do not fall into the pit of thinking u must sound like the orginal song.. i play many songs that i do not really like the original but the song is great.and when taylored with the drastically varing styles of the folks i play with we come up with some great versions of the song and whilst this goes down learnin the invaluable timing when playing with others can give.. Take a song look at it from a differnt angle and you may discover a variation that fits your style.
and as the blues has been forged from.. borrow licks, progressions.. lyrics, etc.. make up a new song.. or arrange the hell out of a old one...

LIVELY UP YOURSELVES!!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Writing your own music is great, but it takes lots of time. If either of you has a few songs already written out, that is ok, just write down the chord progression for the other player and start working on parts for the 2nd player. But if you are both starting from scratch, that is much more difficult. You probably will not enjoy a jam like that. Even professional groups, usually one person will record the basic progression and vocals, write it all out and bring it to the other players. This works well. But starting with nothing usually results in nothing.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Guys, thanks for the input!

I could certainly see where progression jams could get old quick. I think he just mentioned that so we'd have a starting point next week. Plus, it might give us a stepping stone to a new song of our own.

He mainly plays high gain, drop-d "chugga-chugga" stuff, while I lean more towards bluesy, classic rock cleans and such. Now, this isn't really a bad thing as I hope we'll both learn a bit from each other and maybe find a comfortable middle ground (I'm not opposed to creating some heavy tunes). So it could be interesting.

But speaking of covers. Anyone have any suggestions on something with a simple rhythm part (for me) with a good lead part for him? Maybe even an acoustic rhythm with electric lead?

Anyway, I most certainly agree that one of the best parts of learning an instrument is playing with other musicians. It really is what it's all about, IMO. I just let me insecurities and lack of skill keep me from doing it more often. :( I'll get over it eventually though.

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Jason

If he is into heavy "chug" then make him play rhythm. You play the bluesy lead guitar over it.
This is what a lot of Kid Rock songs sound like. That distorted chug is really only good for rhythm. It takes less gain with lots of midrange to hear a good lead.

We have many original songs in our band (about 15). But the writer writes the whole thing out and then shows the others. We don't just make it up on the spot. That doesn't work very well at all. Write an original song from beginning to end. Show him the progression. Then figure out his parts. The song will evolve over time. You have to try different things until you get something that sounds very good.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Tonight I am going over some guy that I work with house to jam some guys, but he has been playing acoustic for years and likes a certain type of acoustic rock which for the most part doesn't float my boat and I don't know how to play most of the songs. He does use an overhead projector to put the lyris and music up on the wall so everyone can see while they play and that helps me with some of the songs, the rest I just try and add some fills here and there and an occaisional improved solo, most of which don't sound that good, but I figure even though I don't kno wmany of the songs it can't hurt to play with others.

cnev, sounds like we are in very similar situations. Post back in here tomorrow and let us know how the jam session went.

He and I both like the same types of music, except I don't really want to play that type of music. I'd much rather play more clean. Think AC/DC. That's about as distorted as I like to go (even then rarely).

wes, I do have several parts of songs I've come up with. He has a ton that I listened to a bit last night. He even has a CD that's he's finishing up. He doesn't write any of the chords down though. Like I said, he's a looper.

I still think he and I can find a middle ground. I'll let you guys know how next weeks session goes. I'm already looking forward to it.

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Jason

If he is into heavy "chug" then make him play rhythm. You play the bluesy lead guitar over it.
This is what a lot of Kid Rock songs sound like. That distorted chug is really only good for rhythm. It takes less gain with lots of midrange to hear a good lead.

We have many original songs in our band (about 15). But the writer writes the whole thing out and then shows the others. We don't just make it up on the spot. That doesn't work very well at all. Write an original song from beginning to end. Show him the progression. Then figure out his parts. The song will evolve over time. You have to try different things until you get something that sounds very good.

Hey, now that's an idea. Not sure how well I'd do, but I could always learn a few more AC/DC progressions, change'em around, and try playing them over his "chug". A starting point anyway.

Thanks for the tips on writing too. Makes sense and I think I'm going to put the few parts of songs I've got now down on paper this weekend. Well, it'll actually go into GuitarPro. :)

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Jason

Then start with his songs that are already written. Get him to show you the chords and write it down yourself. Ask for a copy of the CD. Then during the week practice to the CD. At practice show him what you've got and discuss it. He will probably like most of it. He may ask you to play something a little different at one place or another. That's fine. See, you have a song now, you are just polishing it. That is normal. All of our songs evolve. They start out real basic. Then the drummer gets an idea of some cool run he wants to insert. The bass player figures outs some runs. The other guitar finds that it's good to play distorted chords over one section, maybe clean arpeggios over another part of the song. So, the songs always evolve.

But start with songs. He has the songs so start there.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

He does use an overhead projector to put the lyris and music up on the wall so everyone can see while they play and that helps me with some of the songs, Neat idea! I'm going to check eBay for a good used "opaque" projector. (Versus the kind that needs transparencies.)
That's also a way around having to squint at sheet music or tab sheets. (Even Clapton is wearing bifocals now.) And the cost of the projector can be made up by the savings on photocopies and music stands. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

jason,

thats awsome bro, thats how bands get started, keep it up, you can learn from anybody
can't wait to hear you say, I'M IN A BAND :D :D :D

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Guys, thanks for the input!

I could certainly see where progression jams could get old quick. I think he just mentioned that so we'd have a starting point next week. Plus, it might give us a stepping stone to a new song of our own.

He mainly plays high gain, drop-d "chugga-chugga" stuff, while I lean more towards bluesy, classic rock cleans and such. Now, this isn't really a bad thing as I hope we'll both learn a bit from each other and maybe find a comfortable middle ground (I'm not opposed to creating some heavy tunes). So it could be interesting.

But speaking of covers. Anyone have any suggestions on something with a simple rhythm part (for me) with a good lead part for him? Maybe even an acoustic rhythm with electric lead?

Anyway, I most certainly agree that one of the best parts of learning an instrument is playing with other musicians. It really is what it's all about, IMO. I just let me insecurities and lack of skill keep me from doing it more often. :( I'll get over it eventually though.

Jason
a terrifc song to jam on is Watchtower. good rythm, not a progreesion, and lots of leads. you could trade off right in the song too.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2