Skip to content
Which Jackson RRhoa...

Notifications
Clear all

Which Jackson RRhoads V Version? Differences??

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I think I may pick up a Jackson RRoads, but I'm not sure which one to pick up. Of course there's the price difference.

I was in Guitar Center yesterday and the guy was explaining the whole Floyd Rose thing, but it went over my head...I was more interested in getting the R3 in my hands.

What are the fundamental differences between these models:

RR1
RR3
RR5
RX10D
JS30RR

I don't think I need the top of the line...especially if for the most part, say the RR3, is the same as the RRI without some bells and whistles.

FYI: I have an SG standard(black), play hard rock/metal, and looking for a good compliment to the SG.

Any help you could provide would be great.

Thanks. KY

(@spookysworkin)

Pick the one that picks you.

Play them all. Play them alot. Spend hours in the store if you need to. Sooner or later, one of them will decide that you're ok and want to go home with you. You'll know when it happens. Then you'll have a buddy for life.

I went into a local shop with the intention of spending up to $2500.00 on a guitar. After 4 hours, the one that took me home was a Mexican made Fat Strat, around $400.00.

It's not about price, or bells and whistles. It's about attitude and feeling.

ReplyQuote
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, thanks for the advice. It's the advice I usually get. Unfortunately, I don't usually have an entire afternoon to try out 5 guitars...life and wife just don't allow it.

What I like to do is go in to the store armed and loaded with some info so I at least know what I should focus on besides the "feel" of it in my hands and the sound.

I tried out the RR3 this weekend. Felt real good. Although I did have a bitch of a time trying to tune it. Also tried a Kelly, but that tryout was foiled by some jerk next to me trying a Marshall at volume 10.

Thanks. KY

ReplyQuote
(@spookysworkin)

heh!

Kick life in the ass and lie to the wife!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

if i were you i wouldnt even get that guitar. im guesing you are new. if i were you and you wanted to spend that much money into a guitar i would get a Fender Strat (short for Stratocaster) or a gibson les paul (this shouldnt be out of your price range if you were talking about the "real" RR flying V). they are both very versital and if you are into metal then they are good for that too. you will have a lot of versital sound out of both of them. or if i were you... http://www.carvin.com .

ReplyQuote
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The Les Paul is on my radar, but that is going to be a biggie. I want a Jimmy Page sunburst...and that's like $3k - $4k. Not ready for that...wallet or skill wise. I figure I'll get that one in a couple years when my skills deserve that type of investment.

Right now I'm looking for a toy plain and simple. Something that reaks metal, looks cool, and plays well. The Jackson Rhoads and Kelly seem to fit the bill. Some ESPs do too.

Not sure about the Strat. Don't like the sound much in comparison to my SG, although I think at some point I'll acquire one to have in my stable.

KY

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Yeah, ESPs are fun. I really only like a few of the ones they make stateside, the EC-1000's (very light, good pickups, and flashy as heck) specifically.

Sadly, the one ESP I DO want is, sadly, not available in the continental US. (unless I'm willing to fork over some serious dough on top of the cost to have one imported)

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/2005/alexi_laiho/

It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

That looks like a Jackson RRoads to me.

How much does this go for?

KY

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

It looks like one, but has some slight body differences - the neck is scooped in a bit on the bottom to allow for higher fret access, and only has one EMG-HZ H4 pickup (which is pretty much an EMG 81 that's not active). And it looks mean as hell.

Price tag though... the white one and the black one with the yellow stripes are both a little over $3,500 US according to the Japanese ESP site. The black one with the glow-in-the-dark stuff is about $4000. A few shades below the Jimmy Page, and pretty much anything I like from the Gibson catalog is more affordable than the Alexi Laiho custom ESP.

(I'm really, REALLY hoping they're just quoting list price though...I can't imagine paying more than half the cost of the cheaper ones for a guitar like that, unless they come with three months' worth of lessons with Alexi himself!)

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

check out carvin... http://www.carvin.com

ReplyQuote
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Mirrow...why carvin?

I know nothing about them.

KY

ReplyQuote