Notifications
Clear all

Which Strat

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rpryor)
Topic starter  

My 2 year old Strat Deluxe got stolen and so I need to replace it. Options are a new deluxe with the S1 system, a US Standard or a Customshop.

I know when the S1 first came out there were a few criticisms of it - some were wired the worng way or something.

Any thoughts on the S1 vs traditional "noisy p/ups?

I really want aged cherry burst (like my stolen one) so this is pushing me to the Deluxe assuming the S1 is OK.

Yeah, yeah - I know I should go and play and I will - just wanted whatever info I could get.

Thansk muchly.

(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I'm not exactly the biggest Strat nut in here, (I'm actually not sure who gets that distinction... Wes maybe?) but when I play a Strat, I have to go for that Deluxe. Even though I like my tones a little raw, I can't find fault with the noiseless pickups, they're clean and they're awesome.

If someone stated outright that an American Deluxe was the best value, highest quality and most diverse axe being made right now... I wouldn't argue. The HSS is the only type of guitar I could ever see replacing my Les Paul with.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

hey rpryor, welcome to guitarnoise! You mentioned Custom Shop, so I'm gonna have to ask how much exatly is your limit?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

BTW that sucks about your Strat being stolen... I'm a Strat guy myself so I feel your pain. :(

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rpryor)
Topic starter  

I am looking at the base level "off-the-rack" customshop strat. It is a fair bit more than the Deluxe and I would prefer the Deluxe (subject to playing them and seeing how they sound) as long as there is not too much negative comment on the S1 system.

I once saw a web site which had heaps of reviews of Strats around the time the 50th anniversary came out - anyone know of such a site?

Thanks for any info or advice

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I think that'd be Harmony Central: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Fender/

You'll have to search for the Strat you like, but yes, there are tons of reviews. :) You can also buy the Strat that feels the best to you and switch out the pickups for noiseless pickups or any other pickups you like. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

I'd have to agree with Undercat - I'm a Les Paul (Epiphone) guy, but as I'm looking at getting a possibly new, QUALITY guitar (as in Price Range = $800-1900) this summer, the guitars that I've been struck by include Gibson LP's and.... a new American Deluxe Fat Strat.

And any Strat that could possibly convert me to the Fender Side is definitely something worth looking into :P

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

If you can still find one, the 50th anniversary american series strat is an amazing sounding single coil strat with wonderful custom shop '54 vintage pickups. Blows the Deluxe out of the water, if you ask me... but i'm talking about a guitar for making Strat sounds, not Les Paul or super-strat sounds. This one has all the classic sounds and is a well built smooth playing guitar.

ReplyQuote