Notifications
Clear all

Which Tele?

56 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Highway 1 tele. made in the USA. goes for around 650$.
I love his tele. it has twang and great vibes. the neck and fret work are finished to perfectin.
I alos like the thin satin finish. it should wear nice. the maple neck on this one has nice firugered grain patterns.
USA Fender guitars are superior to clones , MIM and MIJ . the finish work is there where it is not in the off brands.
that makes a differnece for me.
I highly reccomend this ax.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Your american Fender will probably maintain it's value much better because of this perception. You're paying for this as well.
The other part of the marginally better materials is that it is across the entire guitar, so to bring everything up to identical quality would require replacing so much that the cost is prohibitive. For me, the BIG difference in MIM to MIA is the neck. But the MIM neck isn't so bad. The pickups, depending on what model you choose and your taste, can be better on the MIA (why they left the bridge grounding plate off the MIM bridge PUP, I have no idea.). But the Muddy Waters pickups are very nice and the Highway 1's are nice. The ash body option is great too, just watch out for weight. The vintage bridge is a big part of the tele sound, too, and not available on the MIM (except the Muddy) and not on the MIA until the '52. Another advantage of the Highway 1.

The G&L's are great. The Specials with the p-90-like pickups are amazing for overdriven sounds, but few of the G&L's sound like a classic Tele, so research them carefully as to sound. They're more like an evolution of the Tele. An early choice you need to make is whether you are looking for a guitar that's shaped like a Tele or that sounds like a Tele. If you want a Tele sound, the safest bet is to stick with a Fender. The MIM Standard is a great guitar, I play mine most every day, and it does a decent Tele sound, but it is more of a rock or blues guitar because of some of the design choices.

ReplyQuote
(@proscene)

Just a quick note; I have both an SX tele "clone" and a real MIM Tele. Basically they are so similar, I dare you to pick which is fake when you play blindfolded. I wonder if many could. The SX is a VERY good value for a starter ax.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Just a quick note; I have both an SX tele "clone" and a real MIM Tele. Basically they are so similar, I dare you to pick which is fake when you play blindfolded. I wonder if many could. The SX is a VERY good value for a starter ax.

That's very interesting Proscene...I did hear that the SX doesn't have the tele sound like the Fender does? I did hear that the Agile Tele was close to the right "twang"...

I would like to hear more about your comparison...

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

That Squier I have really is a nice player. The stock pups sound pretty good as well. I have a little clip that I made (it's just a little pentatonic thing I came up with for the clip). I believe that was recorded with the bridge pup.

Otherwise, I'd say that the Squier Tele line and any of the MIM Tele's would suit you just fine.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

That Squier I have really is a nice player. The stock pups sound pretty good as well. I have a little clip that I made (it's just a little pentatonic thing I came up with for the clip). I believe that was recorded with the bridge pup.

Otherwise, I'd say that the Squier Tele line and any of the MIM Tele's would suit you just fine.

Jason

Doesn't that have dual HB's? I really like the single coil and I believe it'scalled the "mini" single coil (sometimes refered to as the "lipstick" pickup).

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Doesn't that have dual HB's? I really like the single coil and I believe it'scalled the "mini" single coil (sometimes refered to as the "lipstick" pickup).

Thanks

My Squier has dual singles. You're thinking of my Blackout Tele which has dual hums in it.

Are the mini and lipstick the same? I thought that the mini's literally looked like small versions of the humbucker? I talked with a local guitarist not long ago that was playing the gig with a Gibson LP with mini's in it. I believe it was a late 70's LP. Sounded awesome. First thing that comes to mind when talking lipstick pups are Rickenbacker's. I also believe some Fender Tele's come with lipstick pups in the neck but I can't think of the models right now.

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks

My Squier has dual singles. You're thinking of my Blackout Tele which has dual hums in it.

Are the mini and lipstick the same? I thought that the mini's literally looked like small versions of the humbucker? I talked with a local guitarist not long ago that was playing the gig with a Gibson LP with mini's in it. I believe it was a late 70's LP. Sounded awesome. First thing that comes to mind when talking lipstick pups are Rickenbacker's. I also believe some Fender Tele's come with lipstick pups in the neck but I can't think of the models right now.

Jason
I just remember seeing them one day while searching eBay...For Example

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Yup, that would be them. I just re-read your post and I don't know where I got mini humbucker. I guess I saw mini and that's what came to mind. Sorry about that.

Those lipstick pups sound really good. I like them as well.

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As far as I know, the "lipstick" is so called because it resembles a lipstick case and has no exposed poles. They are single coils.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Lipstick pups are single coils pups whose covers literally resemble lipstick cases: two halves of a metal tube that meet in the middle. These were popular in Danelectros. A mini humbuckers is a small version of a humbucker that originally was designed to fit the route for a P90 (single coil).

Lipstick:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So. related question.. I know the Tele is known to be very versatile. Is there a better choice for a combination of Blues, Punk-Rock, Folk, Classic Rock ? :)

By the way.. Thanks a lot for all the comments. Based on the comments I decided I'll take another look at the SX and the Squire. Thanks.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The Strat is considered by many to be more stylistically versatile. However, "Strat Quack" aside, it also is said to have a somewhat less distinctive character as does the Tele.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I bought my Squier Tele after trying a few fenders....got it about the same time as Smokindog...we both decided to get one as a back-up guitar, but we both agree, it's the #1 guitar.......

I bought an Epi LP Custom later, lovely guitar, probably a better guitar than the Squier Tele.....but....if I reach for an electric guitar, the first choice is the Squier Tele....wouldn't swap it for anything!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I own a Squier Standard Tele and a Fender American Tele.

The Squier is great for Rock, Dirty Blues, and believe it or not, has a beautiful jazz tone in the neck pickup position.

The Fender is tighter and has more twang. The Fender does Country better hands down. The Fender is better for Punk. Very tight using distortion.

The Tele is very versatile. Probably the only type of music it doesn't do well is Metal. It just doesn't have enough low end to it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4