Clear all

why do i always lose my #$%^&* ...

16 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

capos, slides, picks, sheet music. i'm on my 4th or 5th capo, i just realized i lost my 2nd slide (or is it my 3rd), and out of the dozens of picks i've bought in my life, i now own 2. also, i have absolutely no sheet music except for this one book of classical studies, and it's not even in english(although that's not a big deal), but all those jazz standards and celtic songs in D and classical songs are all completely gone. no idea where any of that crap went. i even find myself losing the beat sometimes :shock:

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I feel your pain Jason. Used to happen to me too and I just had to buckle down and get anal about where I put my stuff. Everything at my house has its place. My children know I will break their fingers if they touch it without asking. My music is in a binder with sheet prtectors around it. I dont loan anything out unless I am willing never to see it again (1 capo and 1 slide in this situation now), and as for picks I have those pick saver things that attach to my guitars. Also, purchased about 20 or 30 picks last year so I would have more than plenty.

Good luck finding a strategy. This worked for me. ehh doesnt for some people.

As for losing the beat..... cant help ya. :lol:
Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

i lose the will to live sometimes when i'm trying to learn stuff :shock: :lol: :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I used to have that problem, now I buy multipacks of the pick I like and keep one in my watch pocket, one on my computer desk, one in each of my gig bags, one in my wallet, one in the back of my amp etc... Ironically enough, ever since I did that I've not lost a single one, I only ever use the one in my pocket :roll:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Buy or make a small box for your gear. Get in the habit of always putting your picks, capos, slides, etc., into that box.

For music, I have several large 3 ring binders that have "my" songs in them, everything else collects on a set of bookshelves that I have set aside for music.

I haven't lost a pick in years.

The box I use I obtained from a headshop when such businesses still were able to operate openly. I understand it was intended for storing small quantities of dried herbs . . .

You might find similar "pocket humidor" type things in a cigar shop.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I used to misplace stuff like music and slides and capos all the time,(Comes with Old Age) :roll: then I came up with a few tricks to help me keep track.

For Music, I got one of those REALLY REALLY Thick 3 ring binders, you know, the kind that is as thick as a major metropolitan phone book. I got some dividers and whenever my daughter wanted to earn some extra money (which is fairly often) I sat her down with a 3 hole punch the sheet music and the book and let her fill and organize it for me. The book is much to big to lose.

Capo's were a killer, I started out with 2 and now have 6 from losing and replacing them. I now keep the capos on the headstock of the guitar they go with, Even in the case they stay on the headstock, only time they come off is when they are on the neck being used.

For slides, I hung 3 pieces of string off my music stand and tied a 2" long piece of dowel rod to the end. I thread the dowel and string through the slide and they hang there like wind chimes until I need one.

Hope it helps

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member

i dont have alot of gear to lose but what it always seems to be is my pedals somehow. so to fix that i simply put them on top of my amp and when i use them i take them down and put them back when done. For slides i normally put my thinner one on my music stand or in my side velcro pocket if im going out. For the thicker ones and my bottlesnecks i have a entermainment center made out of stainless rods so i just them in between the rods and they dont fall through and i always know where there at. Picks always seem to be what i lose or people stealing them. So to fix that i became a pick nazi out of the 8 i have left i put one in each of my pickguards then one in the strings while im not playing the rest sit in a jar on my desk. Ive never lost any music besides tabs so cant help there. The main thing is finding a place that makes sense to you and is organized.

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

i lose the will to live sometimes when i'm trying to learn stuff :shock: :lol: :lol:
Hahahaha. :lol:

I try to keep everything in the same place all the time and that seems to work for me. Apart from the cat playing with my picks, I haven't had a problem losing anything.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I lose a lot of songs and riffs that I come up with, in fact I have been recently writing a song in memory of all that I have forgotten.

But I will most likely end up forgetting it as well.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Woah, can I relate to this. I've just lost my capo.

It's amazing you can lose something in your own house, much less your own room. And my room is relatively small, too. But than again, so is the capo.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I lost a capo at school...

I'm thinking it would be a fun project to make a capo out of clothspins and some wood or something... Anyone have plans for homemade capos?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I lost a capo too, I'm pretty sure it's in my room somewhere but it's odd that it's such a common thing.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

just been shredding in my bedroom.....just me/amp/bed/guitar n pick.........

now i cant find my bedroom!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I use a Waterloo fishing tackle box. the lid has compartments with see through doors and the way it's set up, there is room for three slides, all my picks, two capos, and all the different sized hex wrenches that my guitars use.

The compartment underneath is a tray that holds my wall warts, five or six packs of strings and all the various adapters my stuff needs.

The bottom compartment holds all my cables, batteries, straps and tuners.

It's small enough to take everywhere, easy to get into and is great for gigs.

Before that, everything went into my guitar cases and would get misplaced, ever since I got the case the only time I would need to buy anything is when something would wear out.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Jason, there aren't any ravens or crows or bower-birds in your area, are there? ;)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2