Skip to content
Why play a chord th...

Notifications
Clear all

Why play a chord this way, when it can be played easier?

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, in the live version of Dave matthew's Tripping Billie's the introduction is played like so:

|--------|--------|------------|------------|--------------|
|--------|--------|------------|------------|--------------|
|-6-6-6-6|4-4-4-4-|4-h-6-6-6-6-|6s-7-7-7-7--|-2-4----------|
|-2-2-2-2|2-2-2-2-|2---2-2-2-2-|0--0-0-0-0--|-0-0----------|
|-x---x--|x-x-x-x-|x---x-x-x-x-|x--x-x-x-x--|-x-x----------|
|-5---5--|5-5-5-5-|5---5-5-5-5-|5s-7-7-7-7--|-2-3----------|

But what I don't understand is why he plays it like this (and he does) when he can just make the basic A to Asus2 change, by just using the second fret?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Sometimes its not chord, but the sound or feeling and intensity that it creates. Play it and listen to carefully here how it sounds more exhilarating than playing standard chords.

My thoughts.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

As Joe said it's all about different voicings. In the beginning you really shouldn't worry too much about it, if the 'real' version is too hard you can easily play another version of the same chord. Might sound slightly off when you play along to the cd, but noone will ever notice when you just sing/play by yourself. Different chord voicings are optional, and you'll probably want to learn a bunch of different ways to play the same chord later on.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

It's not a problem of playing the chord, even though it is a stretch, but if it's the same notes I guess I thought the chord would be the same sounding. I know you guys are saying though with it sounding different, I was just wondering I guess.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

Notice that "x" that he keeps hitting on the 5th string and the slide.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Play the open D string and then the 10th fret of the 6th string. Both are the same D note in the same octave, but both sound different. Another difference is the order of notes. For example, a open C chord has the notes x-C-E-G-C-E whereas a C-barre chord at the 3rd fret will have the notes x-C-G-C-E-C which is another explanation for the slightly different sound.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Every note you play on a guitar has tones and overtones.

The overtones are naturally occuring harmonics that are also present in the sounding of the tone and are dependent on the length of the string from the bridge to where the note is fretted (or the nut if it's an open string).

This means that the same note played in two different places on the neck will sound different.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it probably has to do with the constant muffled string, and not having to change hand position too much. or maybe he came up with the riff while he was just jamming, and didn't think about how he could have played it easier.

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

Dave usually comes up with a lot of stuff just jamming randomly, I doubt he's even thought of it being an A to A-sus change.. Or maybe it just feels better in his hands.

Also the slide would be hard to get in there.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Are you sure thats how he plays it? I saw him play it on VH1 storytellers and learned that riff a while ago from that. I was way different from that tab you have, more single note stuff and lots of slides. You might want to look for other tabs or figure it out by ear, maybe you'll find an easier way to play it. Hard riff though, took me forever to get it and now I don't even remember how to play it :(

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote