Clear all

One Piece necks

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I might get the epi g 400 custom, and its $500. Would guitars in this price range have one piece necks? If not what is the typical price range? Would having a 1 or 2 piece neck effect the tone significantly? I'm pretty sure a one piece would be better, but im just wondering

(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Even expensive guitars will have several pieces making up the neck. I don't think the amount of pieces used makes as much as a difference as the material the neck is made out of.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your guitar has a set neck. BC Rich back in the 80's made a few that were neck thru. The Ironman was one, it sounds incredible for a guitar that was less than $400.00 back then.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Your guitar has a set neck. BC Rich back in the 80's made a few that were neck thru. The Ironman was one, it sounds incredible for a guitar that was less than $400.00 back then. Joe

I don't think that's what he was asking...?
I might get the epi g 400 custom, and its $500. Would guitars in this price range have one piece necks? If not what is the typical price range? Would having a 1 or 2 piece neck effect the tone significantly? I'm pretty sure a one piece would be better, but im just wondering

Well, lets get going right off by saying that I don't think they make many (any?) guitars with purely one piece necks, if you include everything. I think (someone back me up!) that essentially all guitars have a separate piece joined to make the headstock.

Of course the fretboard is a separate piece. Even on maple FB on maple neck guitars, I believe they're separated to allow for truss rod placement. I have vague recollections of a discussion about Fender trying to eliminate this by creating the tools to carve a curved hole, with no success.

Now we get to end of all those presumptions: we're talking only about the actual neck portion (not headstock or FB): One piece necks are common through all price ranges. My $50 yamaha classical is one piece, and so is my relatively inexpensive Takamine G series.

The G400 likely has a 1 piece neck, but it wouldn't hurt to look into it by contacting Epi. Guitar Center reps typically with have no idea, or will make something up, and anything anyone else tells you (including myself) is likely to be mostly speculation.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote