Clear all

Alternate Picking

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@shadychar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I've been playing for a while now, and I still can't get the hang of alternate picking. Everytime I try to get into that pattern, the pick 'catches' the string on the upstroke, and makes it difficult to playing normally. Does anyone have any tips?

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Sounds like you're just trying to play to fast, try slowing down when practicing it. Don't worry, you'll get it eventually it just takes alot of practice, it can be frustrating though, so don't be afraid to take a break from it if you need to.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You might have your pick at an angle to the strings - you want to be pretty much perpendicular. The poing of the pick can angle towards the bridge, but it shouldn't point 'up' - if it does, it'll dig into the strings on the upstroke.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

If you beleive your technique is right, as in your holding your pick correct (which is crucial) but also that your picking with only the tip of the pick, then its just a matter of practice.

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

Sounds like you may be twisting your wrist a little bit. Keep your palm facing the guitar, don't turn it upwards on those upstrokes if that's what you are doing. That's what usually causes that problem from what I've seen. If you turn your wrist up even a little bit it can make the pick dig up from under the string and screw you up.

Hope this helps you Shadychar.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

One thing that helped me a lot was choking up on the pick (less pick, less resistance) and making sure that the motion is rooted in the arm, not the wrist. This should help a bit.

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

It restricts you if you keep your wrist stiff, especially your muting technique. It's good to have a range of motion in your wrist, just don't twist it.

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member

Good suggestions so far. Could try a slightly more flexible pick (although too thin is sloppy). You could also try a pick with a more rounded/less pointy tip. I love experimenting with different picks. Also, as mentioned already, picking with just the tip of the pick, and by using lighter pressure...so that you don't really 'dig in' to the strings...rather you just lightly graze them.

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member

Good suggestions so far. Could try a slightly more flexible pick (although too thin is sloppy). You could also try a pick with a more rounded/less pointy tip. I love experimenting with different picks. Also, as mentioned already, picking with just the tip of the pick, and by using lighter pressure...so that you don't really 'dig in' to the strings...rather you just lightly graze them.

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member

...oops...I intended to edit my messge but accidentally put in a new one...ignore

ReplyQuote