Notifications
Clear all

Wishing I could play like Stevie and Jimi

26 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

For what it's worth, both of them practice insanely much with great dedication. You've been playing for three years so if you're getting even remotely close to something you're doing great. Can't offer any help though.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I'll also agree on the passion. Sometimes i find myself in a jam and almost 'subconsiously' an amazing solo will appear. It as though i have let something greater take over and do the playing for me. Of course passion can only take you so far, but being in that mindstate is really a golden moment. I also think this only happens when you are in your most relaxed state of mind, with no worries but the music.

+1 Great post. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@uptownskateshop)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'll also agree on the passion. Sometimes i find myself in a jam and almost 'subconsiously' an amazing solo will appear. It as though i have let something greater take over and do the playing for me. Of course passion can only take you so far, but being in that mindstate is really a golden moment. I also think this only happens when you are in your most relaxed state of mind, with no worries but the music.

But through experience and technique comes passion. I don't believe anyone who experiences the "passion" state you're talking about without learning the tecniques needed to play that "solo" I guess what im trying to get at is where can obtain the technique needed to "play" not sound like Jimi and SRV. Can a teacher provide whats needed or should I consider just shuting up :P and go play along to some oldies, is that the only solution?

The PASIONstate that is keep being emphasised has been experienced by me. And I totally understand what you mean, and feel when the feeling dwells. I can feel this pasion but it doesnt necessarily make me a great guitar players with the ability to play with my teeth. Technique provides more ground for improvisation.

The real question isnt an asking to sound and play like stevie (I should have revised) but more so, to learn the technique these indivduals use to produce their unique melodies.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Technique provides more ground for improvisation. Exactly.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have to agree with Wes you have to feel the music and have a passion for it, but with that said you still need to have the basic building blocks of technique to work with.

Obviously if you can't change chords smoothly you won't sound like Jimi, SRV or any one else. That's just an example, I realize your way past that stage but it's just to clarify my point.

But I don't think there are any "magical" techniques that if you knew them it would make you sound like Jimi.

Realistically there is a finite number of guitar techniques to learn, slides, hammerons, double stops, etc., but there is an infinite way to use those techniques and that is where the passion comes in. You have to combine the techniques you have at your disposal with the passion you feel for the music = your sound.

I guess if you were playing Hendrix covers you might want to sound just like Jimi but if you were playing other music I'm not sure you'd want to sound like Hendrix all the time.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jaypbaker)
Eminent Member

Everybody Has Good Advice here. Only Thing I Could say....
hypothetically, Lets Say Hendrix Was Alive, And He Decided To Cover A Stevie Ray Vaughn Tune ;)

You Would, Without A Doubt, Know That It Was Hendrix Playing Stevies Song. And Same Would Be True If It Were Vice Versa. Point Is, Great Playing Is A Number Of Things, And They Are Not Always Equal.. Style is in My Opinion What Makes A Musician. Technical Tricks And Perfection Are In There, But Without A Style They Are Nothin. Add As Much Of "You" To The Mix As The Song Allows, And If You Feel It It Will Be Great ;)

Yes, Practice To The Oldies, Get The Licks Down. And When Ready Play Them The Way That Makes You Feel Great - Anyone Listening Will Feel It As Well.

just Trying To Get This Guitar To Compute...
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.rythym.net
My Music

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any guitarist, worth his salt, will find his own "identity" - his sound, his style - his musical signature.

Great that you want to understand how Hendrix played - but play his music YOUR way.
Then people will remember you, not an anonymous Hendrix wannabe.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member

Have a look at this: http://www.cyberfret.com/improvisation/pentatonic-modal-studies/index.php

After you got that down you should be sure that you have a good sense of melody. Play a melody you know or come up with every practice session. Then go on with playing melodies with double stops.

This way you should be able to play songs like little wing as a melody anywere on the neck and be able to add your own touch to it.

This is what i'm trying to do. Dont know if it works yet. :)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The real question isnt an asking to sound and play like stevie (I should have revised) but more so, to learn the technique these indivduals use to produce their unique melodies.

Hendrix and SRV used the very same techniques all guitarists used, though they may have emphasized certain techniques.

#1 the bend. Hendrix and SRV bent notes ALL the time. And both applied a wide vibrato to the bend. This is how you make your guitar "scream".

B~~~~ B~~~~ B~~~~ B~~~~ B~~~~~~~

e------------------------------------------
b---5------8------10-------13------15------
g---7(9)---10(12)—12(14)---15(17)-—17(19)--
d------------------------------------------
a------------------------------------------
e------------------------------------------

This is the bend Hendrix used in Manic Depression. Bend the G string with your ring finger, middle finger assisting while fretting the B string with your index. But also, put a wide vibrato on the bent note. This is probably the #1 technique employed by Hendrix and SRV. But it is the emotion you put into this bend that will really make your guitar scream.

#2 Hammer On/Pull Off/ Trill

Trill-------

e---------------------------------------
b---------------------------------------
g---5h-7p-5h-7p-5h-7p-5h-7p-5tr7--------
d---------------------------------------
a---------------------------------------
e---------------------------------------

#3 Octaves

e-------------------------------
b-------------------------------
g-------------------------------
d-5-5-5---7-7-7---8-8-8---105--
a-------------------------------
e-3-3-3---5-5-5---6-6-6---8-3--

#4 Whammy or Tremelo Bar

I am not going to tab out something here, but Hendrix and SRV used the Tremelo bar a great deal to create bends, vibrato, and dives.

These are probably the top 4 techniques that Hendrix and SRV used to play such emotional solos. But they used everything, slides, harmonics, rakes, etc..... You name it.

But every guitarist uses these very same techniques. However, as I first wrote, what made Jimi and Stevie stand out was the passion they put into their playing.

Yes, you must have technique. That is why I said you have to immerse yourself in the guitar. You must be able to physically play what you hear. So of course you must know technique.

But lots of guitar players have fantastic technique and still don't play like Jimi or Stevie. That is where the passion comes in.

And maybe one more thing. You have to listen to music all the time. Believe it or not Hendrix was a tremendous fan of Classical music and owned and played many albums by Beethoven, Bach, Wagner, etc.... He said that Classical music inspired him. And I am sure the SRV also listened to a wide variety of music.

That is where those great sounds in your head come from.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

SRV and Jimi both, as with most well known artist, were influenced by much earlier artist and in thier early learning emulated them. they then because of skill, comfort in doing certain things, or whatever developed this into thier own style.
If you really want to learn what and why then you have to go back much farther than SRV and Jimi and see what led them to their styles.

I used to try to copy clapton, then another guitarist turned me on to BB, Freddie and Albert king,(the three kings) Thats when it all started to come together for me :D 8) 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i read a jimi hendrix biography that stated that he'd often wake up, start playing, and not put it down until he fell asleep.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2